Messaging Gateway

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?

Migration User

Migration UserJun 26, 2008 06:45 PM

Migration User

Migration UserJul 10, 2008 04:17 AM

• 1.  How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?

Posted Jun 26, 2008 05:55 PM
    Good day,
    How do I configure exchange so that it will send the mail through the appliance instead of sending it out the default gateway?
    Thanks very much

• 2.  RE: How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?

Posted Jun 26, 2008 06:22 PM
    Hi there,

Which part are you asking for here? 
    The Exchange configuration (i.e setting up forwarding outbound mail to a smarthost from Exchange) or the Appliance configuration?

Thanks!

--ian

• 3.  RE: How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?

Posted Jun 26, 2008 06:27 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I must need both as I tried inputting the appliance IP as the smart host but that did not get mail routing through it. I have the appliacne setup so that x.x.x.241 is the incoming IP and x.x.x.242 is the outgoing IP. Currently mail will send out but not through the appliance, when I put .242 into the Internet Mail SMTP connector as a smart host mail would not send out anymore.

• 4.  RE: How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?

Posted Jun 26, 2008 06:43 PM
    What happens when you initiate an SMTP conversation with the .242 interface from the exchange server?
    telnet x.x.x.242 25
    HELO yourdomain.com
    etc

Can you send mail out via the appliance that way?

Any errors in Exchange at all?  Is it just the queues are filling up on Exchange?

--ian

• 5.  RE: How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?

Posted Jun 26, 2008 06:45 PM
    Ah... it says client host rejected, access denied

• 6.  RE: How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?

Posted Jun 26, 2008 06:52 PM
    Didn't realize you have to hit save twice to get the allowed outgoing addresses setup. I can telnet to the .242 now but putting it in as the smarthost still does not flow mail.

• 7.  RE: How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?

Posted Jun 26, 2008 07:10 PM
    OK so your Exchange server is now in the 'Outbound Mail Acceptance' list and the mail filtering is set to inbound & outbound for your CC/Scanner right?

Are you able to send a message out via telnet successfully now?

Where is the mail queuing in Exchange?  What does the queue status say in ESM?  Can you force the connection on that queue? 
    Perhaps a restart of the SMTP service on the Exchange server will kick it to life - careful if you are running a clustered Exchange instance as cycling that might fail the cluster over...

--ian

• 8.  RE: How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?

Posted Jun 27, 2008 11:13 AM

I tried sending with a Telnet session, it accepted all the data without issue. Then I get an undeliverable in the user's mailbox that says

"The mail server was unable to deliver the message but did not provide a specific error. Check the address and try again.

<sms.domain.com #5.0.0 Symantec Mail Security ; Host or domain name was not found. Name service error for name=scomx1p.domain.com Type=A Host not found>"

• 9.  RE: How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?

Posted Jun 27, 2008 11:43 AM

I did some editing on the DNS server, not getting mail bounced back anymore but it still is not being delivered. The outbound mail summary finally shows mail hitting the appliance but they're getting hit by the Compliance Filtering for "Legal Disclaimer". I thought this was just supposed to add an annotation to the end of the message? I turned off all compliance filtering but messages still do not go through and do not show up as anything (no "clean" messages listed).

Exchange shows the messages stuck in "Messages queued for deferred delivery"

Message Edited by BeezSK on 06-27-2008 08:44 AM

• 10.  RE: How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?

Posted Jul 02, 2008 03:12 PM

Did some more work on this. Now the error is

"A configuration in the email system caused the message to bounce between two server or be forwarded between two recepients."

I have only one Exchange server and it only does this for outgoing internet mail and only if I use the SMS as the smart host. Delivery to internet users without the smarthost functions properly. Please help.

• 11.  RE: How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 07, 2008 04:51 PM
    Ugh... word to the dumb. Don't have your mail server set up as the relay for internal AND external domains :(

• 12.  RE: How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?

Posted Jul 10, 2008 04:17 AM

Glad to see you managed to solve this one :)

--ian

• 13.  RE: How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?

Posted Jan 15, 2010 12:22 PM
    I know this is an old post. Can someone explain what exactly is the solution here?

My situation is that I'm delopying SBG 8.0 right after my internet router. So far, I'm getting outside mail in and properly relay to my mail server, but I cannot get outgoing mail to go out to the world.

Here is my setup:
    I setting up a virtual version of the SBG 8.0 with two NIC on the scanner/control center. 192.X.X8 is the incoming ip & 192.X.X.9 is outgoing ip.

My current Outbound Mail Settings on the scanner:
      Outbound mail IP address is 192.X.X.9, Port 25
      Outbound Mail Acceptance ip address is set to my Exchange mail server 192.X.X.30
      Outbound Non-Local Mail Delivery is set to Use MX Lookup for Non-local Delivery

I have modified the exitiing SMTP connector in the Routing Groups node. Only change I made was set the "Forward all mail through this connector to the following smart hosts" and enter [192.X.X.9]. Save the change, restart MS Exchange Routing Engine and SMTP services.

The result is undelivered mail with error " 554 IP mail loop detected"

• 14.  RE: How to route outgoing mail through the appliance using Exchange 2003?

Posted Jan 15, 2010 12:25 PM
    In the SMTP Advanced Settings, I set the non-local messages SMTP Delivery Bindings to use my inbound ip.