Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  How to take backup of a folder, (not partion or disk) using Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.5.1 ?

Posted Jul 22, 2012 11:12 PM

I have created backup  images using symantec ghost solution suite .

But i need to create the backup a a particular folder in a partition . .

Eg : - I need to create the backup of a folder in my D: drive , but not full D: drive  . .

I will be thankfull  if someone could share me how to do this . .

regards

Sebin

• 2.  RE: How to take backup of a folder, (not partion or disk) using Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.5.1 ?

Posted Jul 23, 2012 02:52 AM

any option to selected a particular folder in ghost64.exe or ghost32.exe

• 3.  RE: How to take backup of a folder, (not partion or disk) using Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.5.1 ?

Posted Jul 23, 2012 12:25 PM

Moved to the ghost forum.

• 4.  RE: How to take backup of a folder, (not partion or disk) using Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.5.1 ?

Posted Jul 24, 2012 04:08 AM

Ghost is not designed for small backups. 

Just use Robocopy (it's a standard part of Windows 7 and easily downloadable if you use an older O/S)

This synchronises source and target and is extremely fast with LOTS of command line options.

I tend to use:

Robocopy c:\folder  d:\folder /E /PURGE /XJ /R:1 /W:1 

This synchronises C:\folder to D:\folder,  /E to include subdirectories, /PURGE to remove content in target that has been removed in the source, /XJ to avoid junction points, /R:1  - allow one retry on a read error  /W:1 - wait one second between retries.

You can also exclude files and directories - eg: /XF pagefile.sys  /XD "System Volume Information"

• 5.  RE: How to take backup of a folder, (not partion or disk) using Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.5.1 ?

Posted Jul 24, 2012 04:26 AM

First of all , thank you for your reply  .

But its our customer requirement to use the Ghost software . . .

they want me to take a backup from a folder of time dependent variable size ( basically large size 150-300 GB) . .

but its a folder inside one dirve ( say D: )   . .

Have you find any way to map a folder . . ?

Kindly reply , if you can help   me . .

thank you

Sebin

• 6.  RE: How to take backup of a folder, (not partion or disk) using Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.5.1 ?

Posted Jul 24, 2012 05:50 AM

So if your customer requirement was to use Notepad to backup the folder, how would you achieve it? Just inform your customer that Ghost is not intended for folder backups and see what they say.

Ghost is primarily an IMAGING tool for capturing partitions or entire hard disks. If you want a backup utility then look at Backup Exec.

From the perspective of mapping a folder, this is VERY basic stuff.

You can either use the SUBST command from a command prompt, or you could enable sharing for the folder in question and just map to it over the network using \\machinename\sharename.

• 7.  RE: How to take backup of a folder, (not partion or disk) using Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.5.1 ?

Posted Jul 25, 2012 01:15 AM

thanks

Sebin