Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to update Proactive Threat Protection of Symantec Endpoint Protection Ver 11.0.5

• 1.  How to update Proactive Threat Protection of Symantec Endpoint Protection Ver 11.0.5

Posted May 31, 2010 07:03 AM
    Dear all, I'm still not familiar with Symantec Endpoint Protection. This is first time for me use Symantec Endpoint Protection. I install Symantect Endpoint Protection in Windows 2000 client as Unmanage client. My question is how to update Proactive Threat Protection without connect to internet (offline network) ? Where is the link to download update Proactive Threat Protection ?

Regards
    Yosep R

• 2.  RE: How to update Proactive Threat Protection of Symantec Endpoint Protection Ver 11.0.5

Posted May 31, 2010 07:05 AM
    proactive threat protection will not be updated everyday.
    onley antivirus and antispyware update will be available everyday

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions.jsp

go to start - run
    type luall.exe
    it will update all the definitions.

Edit: did not read the second part; manually updating definitions will not update PTP . it wil only update AV

• 3.  RE: How to update Proactive Threat Protection of Symantec Endpoint Protection Ver 11.0.5

Posted May 31, 2010 07:05 AM

PTP can only be updated through the SEPM or by connecting to the Internet.
    Intelligent updater cannot update PTP.

Else you can use a GUP or a LUA.

There are a few Enhancement request for the Same

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/idea-endpoint-protection-update-process
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/jdb-file-should-update-all-components

• 4.  RE: How to update Proactive Threat Protection of Symantec Endpoint Protection Ver 11.0.5

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 31, 2010 07:09 AM
    without connecting to internet, you can use internal Liveupdate server to get the updates or use the SEPM to get the updates distributed to the clients.

though the PTP definition running is too old.

What is the OS? hope it is not 64 bit OS.

• 5.  RE: How to update Proactive Threat Protection of Symantec Endpoint Protection Ver 11.0.5

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 31, 2010 07:15 AM
    sorry did not see it's Win 2000, is it server edition?

• 6.  RE: How to update Proactive Threat Protection of Symantec Endpoint Protection Ver 11.0.5

Posted May 31, 2010 07:59 AM
    It is not possible to update Proactive Threat Protection without connecting to Internet for an unmanaged client.But it can be updated from an Internal Liveupdate server,if you have such one in your network...

• 7.  RE: How to update Proactive Threat Protection of Symantec Endpoint Protection Ver 11.0.5

Posted May 31, 2010 08:13 AM

So it's mean i can not update PTP since i'm not use SEPM or connecting to the internet ?
    Cause in my case i have several PC on close network, and i'm not install SEPM (only install client as Unmanaged client).

• 8.  RE: How to update Proactive Threat Protection of Symantec Endpoint Protection Ver 11.0.5

Posted May 31, 2010 08:17 AM
    it wil work on win 64 also
    On your server its adviced to install only Antivirus and antispyware only not Proactive
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/proactive-threat-protection-x-64-working-now

go to add /remove programs
    select symantec endpoint
    click modify
    remove Proactive;
    run the install.

• 9.  RE: How to update Proactive Threat Protection of Symantec Endpoint Protection Ver 11.0.5
    Best Answer

Posted May 31, 2010 09:14 AM
    Yes it mean.You cannot update PTP since you are in a closed network.
    How ever some product enhancement request is already present in the idea section of this forum.So we can except it in near future.You can also vote for it.
    Ref:Idea for Endpoint Protection Update Process

• 10.  RE: How to update Proactive Threat Protection of Symantec Endpoint Protection Ver 11.0.5

Posted Jun 07, 2010 04:12 PM

On non-networked machines we can manually update the AVAS definitions by manually copying the files from "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs\'yyymmdd.rev" folder and place them into the target machine's 'incoming' subfolder (same folder path).
    The SEP client will usually pick these up within 5 minutes.

Is there a way to do this with the PTP and NTP definitions?