Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

How to upgrade NBU 6.5.6 on cluster environment (vcs) to 7.5.0.3 Solaris

Created: 03 Oct 2012 • Updated: 09 Oct 2012 | 8 comments
animalman's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I need step to upgrade NBU6.5.6 on cluster environment (vcs) to 7.5.0.3 Solaris.

I want to know recommend step to do or prepare step to do before upgrade.

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

Marianne's picture

You will first upgrade to 7.5, then patch to 7.5.0.3 (why not 7.5.0.4?).

Please go through upgrade steps in NetBackup Clustered Master Server Administrator's Guide  (See “Upgrading a NetBackup failover server on VCS on Unix/Linux” on page 37) as well as upgrade steps in  NetBackup Installation Guide for UNIX and Linux  .

Please take special care that you follow all pre-req's and steps (for example, rsh enabled (not ssh), that only NBU resource must be taken offline and not the entire Service Group, etc, etc...) 

Steps to install patch in the cluster will be in the README (download URL).

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

SOLUTION
animalman's picture

Hi Marianne,

I have any question about disk resource nbudg (/opt/VRTSnbu). After install NBU 7.5.0.3 finish on active node then I must bring it online on inactive node right? and Install NBU 7.5.0.3 on inactive node

mph999's picture

No, you must read the instructions as provided by Marianne

From page 38.

7. On the active node, install the NetBackup server software.

8. On each inactive node to which NetBackup may failover, install the NetBackup server software.

Does it say anywhere to to anything else or differently ...

Martin

Regards,  Martin

Setting Logs in NetBackup:
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75805

Marianne's picture

The databases are already upgraded when you upgrade the active node.

There is no reason for shared disk to be present on inactive node. Upgrade process will see this as 'upgrade on inactive node' and just upgrade the binaries.

Please ensure that rsh is enabled when doing upgrade. (I have personnaly managed to break a production cluster because rsh was not enabled.)

As per Martin's post - just follow steps in the manual....

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

animalman's picture

Hi All

I have problem after upgrade to 7.5.0.3. After upgrade complete some Media Server backup error with status 811 and i try to solve but not work!!!. From my observ all Media Server that backup failed is AIX server. Please Help me to solve this problem.

Marianne's picture

This post is about upgrading your clustered master server.

Was the upgrade successful? Are all NBU processes running on the master server?

If so, please start a new discussion for status 811.

Handy NBU Links

animalman's picture

Hi Marianne,

Yes, the upgrade successful. But some Media server  backup filed with status 811.

Marianne's picture

Your original question was answered... Please select the post that has helped you with upgrade steps and Mark as Solution.

I have moved your status 811 to a new discussion - see link above.

Handy NBU Links