Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

HP D2D4312 Backup System can support AIR for replication ?

Created: 28 Jan 2013 • Updated: 27 Feb 2013 | 15 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

I need some help,

We have 2 HP D2D4312 Backup System as below, it is possible to configure for replication between 2 domain, by using AIR ? With netbackup master/media server version 7.5.0.4

HP D2D4312 Backup System Qty (2): StoreOnce Systems
   - D2D4312 Backup System (36 x 1 TB disks)
   - Ethernet cable(Cat 5e) 3m (x2)
   - 2 x Power cords (with IEC 320 C13 plug for Rack PDU)
   - (1) HP D2D4312 Replication LTU (Must be Replaced by OST Catalyst)
   - HP StoreOnce Backup System
   - 2 x 8 Gb Fibre Channel
   - 2 x 1Gbe iSCSI

thank you.

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 15 CommentsJump to latest comment

Mark_Solutions's picture

If the system can be used as just Disk (and not using the StoreOnce system) then you could use it to create MSDP storage areas

The HP compatibilty list shows it as compatible with NetBackup 7.5 however that is as an OST device only and not with AIR - pretty sure only MSDP / PDDO and Quantum DXi have AIR capability so far

So you could have a media server at each site and use optimised duplication via OST but you could not have 2 Master Servers and use AIR

Hope this answers your question - always worth checking with HP if they are to have an AIR Supported OST Plugin

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

SOLUTION
Marianne's picture

Totally agree with Mark.

The NBU HCL gets updated quite often (2 updates so far this month). The HCL will be updated as and when your vendor has updated their OST plugin and device software to support AIR.

See OST Storage Servers section in NetBackup 7 Hardware Compatibility List (HCL):    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76495  

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

Gautier Leblanc's picture

I agree with Mark and Marianne. 

Note that Sepaton is also AIR compliant.

Regards

NBU_13's picture

Hi,

Thanks for information.

As per Symantec documents, the below condition should apply for AIR, but, I dont have any idea about OST Catalyst.

Hi Mark,

¨So you could have a media server at each site and use optimised duplication via OST but you could not have 2 Master Servers and use AIR¨

As per Symantec, OST to OST will support replication,  So, it is possible to configure hardware for replication ?

Replication support:

•MSDP to PDDO replication (including 52xx to 50xx) is supported – version restrictions apply.

•PDDO to MSDP replication (including 50xx to 52xx) is NOT planned.

•OST to OST replication is supported with single vendor devices.

•MSDP and PDDO replication to OST devices is NOT supported

Limitations of AIR phase 1.

•In one-to-many configurations images cannot be replicated to specific target domains.

•Remote copies are not recorded in the source domain’s catalog.

•Restore from the target domain copies to clients in the source domain is not automated (workarounds exist).

•AIR cannot be applied “after the event”, existing backups cannot be replicated using AIR.

•Images that have been replicated to a target domain cannot be replicated back to the source domain at a later date under AIR control.

•Replication via non-OST devices (such as Tape or VTL or AdvancedDisk) is not yet supported.

Thank you,

Mark_Solutions's picture

The hardware will normally actually do the replication anyway - but it is triggered by the OST Plugin and controlled by NetBackup .. but data generally travels directly from harware device to hardware device

So you could use cross site duplication if the media servers on both sites belonged to a single Master Server, but you cannot use AIR between two Masters

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

NBU_13's picture

Hi Mark,

¨If the system can be used as just Disk (and not using the StoreOnce system) then you could use it to create MSDP storage areas¨ means,

HP D2D4312  as just like deduplication disk, we can configure as puredisk like normal OST, then we can use AIR for replication ?

for that, what, we need to ask to HP vendor with this hardware.(like license or any)

Thank you...

Mark_Solutions's picture

I dont think it would be feasible really - it would mean a plain format of the disks which would seem to make the appliance a very expensive disk array - i doubt HP would be happy with you doing that even if it were possible - you would be better to purchase a new set of disk arrays as there are some good ones out there these days with huge capacity for very low prices - and of course there are the N5220 Appliances which have everything built into one box

NBU_13's picture

Hi Mark,

Yes, I agree, but, our Client already bought HP D2D4312 Backup System Qty (2): StoreOnce Systems

They want to use in both site 1 and site 2 (DR)

So, We are trying to do best way of use this  HP D2D4312 Backup System Qty (2): StoreOnce Systems

Thank you

Mark_Solutions's picture

If the link between sites is good then it could be a media server - it just has to write the catalog data acroos sites

It does need to be reliable as well though as if the link goes down you will not get any backups on the remote site

Fabrice P.'s picture

Today, the only supported OST feature by the HP Catalyst plug-in is the optimized duplication (Opt_Dup). AIR is not certified/supported yet.

However, those appliances can be used as CIF/NFS shares. If a CIF/NFS share is supported by AIR then yes, it can be used for it.

Authorised Symantec Customer ;)

NBU_13's picture

Hi Mark,

As per HP website´s they saying, HP StoreOnce Backup systems can support with netbackup OST, as per symantec, OST to OST will support replication, HP StoreOnce Backup systems is OST, then it will support ?

Replication via non-OST devices (such as Tape or VTL or AdvancedDisk) is not yet supported.

OST to OST replication is supported with single vendor devices.

Federated Deduplication Across the Enterprise with a Single Deduplication Technology - StoreOnce

Same dedupe algorithm, no rehydration of data moving between different StoreOnce platforms with StoreOnce Catalyst.

Tailor the solution to your customer’s data protection strategy, not the backup vendor’s product limitations.

Consolidate two management tools into one, allowing the backup application to manage the backup, deduplication and replication.

Federated Deduplication is available across all new HP StoreOnce Backup systems using StoreOnce Catalyst, and with HP Data Protector 7, Symantec NetBackup 7.x and Symantec Backup Exec 2012 software through OST.

Deduplicate anywhere -- at the application source or at the backup server or at the target appliance.

Can you guide me, if Iam wrong.

Thank you.

Marianne's picture

OST support does not mean support for all features.
Please check HCL as per my post above.
You will see that only 2 third-party OST vendors currently support AIR - Quantum Dxi and Sepaton.
As per Mark's post - speak to HP to find out if they are working on AIR support.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

Mark_Solutions's picture

As i said previously .. OST Duplication (they seem to call it replication) is fine for you - but that does not include AIR which is true replication in NetBackup terms

So it will do client side de-dupe, and optimised duplication (media server to media server within the same NetBackup Domain) but until they produce an approved ost plugin you cannot use AIT with them

Hope this clarifies things

RLeon's picture

If you go through the Netbackup Hardware Compatability List from Marianne's post, you will find that the HP D2D4300 series currently only has "Opt_Dup" support, compared to, say the Quantum DXi4000 which has "A.I.R., Opt_Dup, Opt_Synth" support.

That is what Mark and Marianne mean.

The Opt_Dup is for Optimized Duplication within the same NetBackup domain. That is, between two D2D4300s that are under direct control of the same master server.
Your hardware also needs to be certified for A.I.R. if you wish to do this across to another D2D4300 within another Netbackup domain.

As Mark pointed out, if you insist on sending data from site1 to site2, then currently your only option is for the (destination) D2D4300 that is in site2 to also be under the control of the same master server as the (source) D2D4300 in site1.
That is, despite the geographical difference, everything is logically under the same NetBackup domain.

You will need to speak to HP to see when they will have A.I.R. support with their OST implementation (StoreOnce Catalyst).

NBU_13's picture

Now, iam clear,

Let me check with HP vendor, to get some update.

Thanks for your information