Expand all | Collapse all

HP dc5850 problem

Migration User

Migration UserFeb 27, 2009 03:29 AM

Migration User

Migration UserMar 02, 2009 05:53 AM

• 1.  HP dc5850 problem

Posted Feb 27, 2009 03:18 AM
    After i roll out a Windows Xp image via Altiris, after the imaging finish it will not reboot. It says it will reboot, but al i can see is a black screen.

The pc is still powered on, but there is no activity whatsoever. Ctrl+Alt+Del will not help. Only unplugging the power cable for a few seconds and plugging it back in again brings the system back to life.

What is wrong here?

• 2.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Feb 27, 2009 03:29 AM
    Sounds like an incorrect HAL problem.

• 3.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Mar 02, 2009 05:53 AM
    any solution

• 4.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Mar 02, 2009 06:23 AM
    The solution has already been provided. You aren't using the right HAL. Either inject the right one or build a new image. It all depends on what HAL types you intend on supporting.

When you say comes "back to life" do you mean it works like you expect then? If that is the case I guess make sure you are using the cables that come with the system. I have seen HP monitors have a similar problem because of the power cable.

• 5.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Mar 03, 2009 02:55 AM
    Yes all you have to do after imaging process done unplug the power cable and plug it back and it perfectly working. So I don't know what the HAL have to do with this!

• 6.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Mar 03, 2009 03:31 AM
    I apologize, I misunderstood the original problem. I took it as, the machine is stuck at a black screen until you unplug it, I assumed that when you plugged it back in it would repeat the scenario after the POST.

You might check your power management settings in the BIOS. In some manner, it almost seems as if the BIOS is not processing the power down or reboot from your automation client properly.

• 7.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Mar 04, 2009 12:24 AM
    this are the step and test I make
    - changing the power cord
    - changing the power circuit
    - using UPS to make sure that non electric problem
    - changing the network Switch
    - checking the bios power manager setting

And buy the way if you unplug and plug the PC before sending the image it will work find. So the first time you send a image after unplugging and plugging the PC it will work perfectly. Any other solution?

• 8.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Mar 04, 2009 01:05 AM
    Is this happening on multiple machines, or just this one particular one? If it is just this one machine, it's possible there could be some faulty hardware (i.e. power supply). It sounds like you have a pretty odd problem though.

• 9.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Mar 04, 2009 01:13 AM
    it all DC5850 that we have I just update the Bios and having the same problem.
    we have more then 50 new one

• 10.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Mar 04, 2009 01:21 AM
    That's really odd. Have you checked with HP to see if they have had any other complaints from other customers on that same issue?

• 11.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Mar 04, 2009 01:31 AM
    it is my next step i will let you know.

but found this on HP web site

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/se...er.do?threadId=1295060

• 12.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Mar 04, 2009 05:06 AM
    the problem is one you chose a PXE boot disk the PC so it most be a PXE problem i will contact HP for that

• 13.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Mar 10, 2009 02:35 AM
    Hi Khal,

I had this problem back in October last year. I was using DOS for PXE. This is the solution I came up with for a temp solution (Article ID: 44131 at Altiris Knowledge base). But I found it necessary to switch to WinPE and I have no problems at all.

• 14.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Mar 31, 2009 11:59 AM
    I'm still having the same problem using DOS. I try using Linux Pre-boot as alternative. But I have another problem with is NO HARD drive found. Any suggestion. Using WinPE is to long for more then 30 PC on the same time.

• 15.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Apr 02, 2009 11:08 AM

1)      Make sure they have the latest BIOS in the dc5850
    Yes IT is the last version

2)      Try the power control (power off , power on, reboot) from the DS console and see if those execute correctly on the dc5850
    Yes It is working

3)      Can they execute a job , in dos, on the dc5850?
    Yes it give the same problem

a.       For instance they could create a dos job, that does a DIR

b.      This job should reboot the client to dos, then execute the dir command, then reboot

c.       This is a test to see if the dc5850 executes the reboot command successfully

4)      They should call symantec support.  Again it is not because the software doesn’t execute on the hw that the hw is to blame.  The sw has to support the HW.  We are not aware of any other issue like this…
    It is know on the altiris Forums

• 16.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Jun 10, 2009 08:39 AM
    Hi there

I have the same problem.  When I am trying to create an image of the workstation and altiris sends the command to reboot, the workstation just hags there ,  there is no more power to the usb keyboard and monitor,  it is just on with nothing going on..    I have updated the bios and still nothing, I am figuring it hasto do with the command for reboot but how do I change it in Altiri and whatis the most universal reboot command..  and can we test it before ,  ie from the command prompt on another workstation

• 17.  RE: HP dc5850 problem

Posted Oct 21, 2009 06:48 PM
    appears to be caused be external usb device.  Particulary barcode scanner on our library checkout machines.  Unplugging usb cable prior to power on appears to solve problem