View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Migration User

Migration UserDec 11, 2013 11:37 AM

• 1.  Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Dec 10, 2013 03:52 AM

Hello.

I am unable to find any drivers that works with preboot enviorment for our shiny new Hp ProDesk 600 g1 computers.
    When entering PXE it comes to "Validating network connection", and then starts spamming "restarting DHCP client services: retry1" 20 times

If i stop the retries with ctrl+c. and check ipconfig, the computer have no IP, due to missing network driver and I cant deploy windows.

This is a huge problem right now! Anyone got it to work, and coult give me a link to the driver that have worked for them ?

Altiris 7.5
    winPE 4.0
    Tried all x64 and x86 drivers i could find, both on the intel.com site, and hp's site. (atleast i think i have..)

• 2.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Dec 10, 2013 08:36 AM

Hello,

I have also having this issue. Any ideas - I've looked everywhere for the drivers.

Any Help would be great,

Thanks,

• 3.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Dec 10, 2013 09:35 AM

HP Client WinPE 4.0 x86 and x64 Driver Pack

Theese worked for me :)

But I had to create a new preboot environment, as for some reason, the boot.wim file in my primary winPE werent updated for some reason.

• 4.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Dec 11, 2013 11:37 AM

The one that worked for me is E1D63x64 (Windows8).

• 5.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Dec 12, 2013 01:16 AM
    Woho!

I found some that worked, finnaly!

But I had to create a new preboot enviroment for some reason, as the new drivers just wouldent "enter" my boot.wim file.

• 6.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Mar 28, 2014 01:10 PM

Hi

I have this problem too ("Validating network connection", and then "restarting DHCP client service") with the same model of computer (HP ProDesk 600 G1 P/N H5U25ET)

I am using 6.9 SP5 MR3 on a Win 2003 box for production

I have set up a Win2008 R2 VM and installed Altiris DS 7.5 (with latest hotfix - upto 28/03/2014) but I get the same problem - i've made sure to turn off the PXE services on the DS 6.9 production box, so that clients dont PXE boot to it

I've created a WinPE 4 PXE boot environment (this is so much easier in DS v7) and all my existing desktop computers (Elite 8000 to 8300) can boot into the WinPE 4 PXE environment no problem. For the brand new box (HP ProDesk 600 G1 P/N H5U25ET), it is stuck on the  "restarting DHCP client service"

I have downloaded the "HP Client WinPE 4.0 x86 and x64 Driver Pack" (SP64529) and extracted the files then added the drivers to the PreBoot section of the driver

I see the message in the box saying the drivers where added

Still no joy

I've tried rebooting the server and trying again but still no joy

I've tried creating a Linux PE but when I PXE boot I dont see that on the menu list, only WinPE 64 Bit, WinPE 32 Bit, and Next Boot Device

I've then deleted my WinPE environment and rebooted the server but when I PXE boot the client it still only shows the WinPE on the list, and successfully boots into it - albeit on the HP ProDesk 600 it only reaches the restarting DHCP part

Now i'm stuck - has my Network Boot Service become corrupt somehow?

Can anyone suggest what I should do next?

I can remove Altiris 7.5 and re-install if that is an option you think I should try

Cheers

• 7.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Mar 31, 2014 04:11 PM

Short answer because I'm short on time.

1) be sure the drivers were replicated to any package server you have.  If you don't know how, you may want to call in,

2) Be SURE to rebuild your preboot environment.  If you do not, the drivers will never be IN the preboot environments and will never be usable.  That answers another question above and I'll explain later.  TEchie, this is probably all you need to d.

3) don't reinstall.  Just don't.

4) The LinuxPE will be even worse.  Those MUST be LINUX compiled drivers and I'm wagering it'll be harder to find than the Windows ones, AND harder to use.  Just skp that for now.

GL - posting later some explanations.

• 8.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Apr 01, 2014 11:28 AM

Hi Thomas

Thanks for replying

Sorry I didnt specify in my previous post

I have a single server running the Notification Server, Task Service, Package Service, and Network Boot Service - all three of the services are showing as green in the Site Services section.

I added the drivers from that Driver Pack on the HP website - HP Client WinPE 4.0 x86 and x64 Driver Pack, in the Pre-Boot section. I havent added them on the DeployAnywhere tab - do I need to do this as well? - Note I used the 3 folders (Win7, Win8, and Win81) in the x64_winpe folder of the driver pack. Also to note I selected WinPE and x64, then clicked on Add. I then waited and saw the response "Driver(s) added successfully" in the Driver Addition Status box.

Note the following drivers are in the driver pack folders:

Win7 = E1D62x64

Win8 = E1D63x64

Win81 = E1D64x64

Should I then expect to see Intel I217 in the driver list? I dont see it. Does it take a while for it to come through?

I then re-built my WinPE Boot Environment (clicked on the name to highlight it then clicked on "Recreate Preboot Envirnonment"

I then waited for about 15 mins and attempted to PXE boot the HP ProDesk 600 G1 computer but have the same problem (restarting DHCP)

I am assuming that the new drivers are not being added to the WinPE environment, and I am wondering if this is because I cant see it in the driver list. I have tried doing the 32 bit versions of the drivers but I dont see them either.

I therefore am wondering if there is a problem with the server installation that I cannot see. The server I have DS 7.5 on is only a test server (Win 2008 R2 SP1 on a VM-Ware guest (4GB of RAM and a 40GB HDD). The VM-Ware O/S is on an HP Blade G7 with the Intel Xeon X5675 CPU (3.07 GHz).

I am using SQL Express on the same server.

I can wipe the server and start again with the install, is an option I am willing to do because it is only a test server (my production server is DS 6.9 on a Win 2003 box)

As for your question no 1, how do I see the drivers are in the package server? I am going to try googling it now.

As for LinuxPE I dont see it on the PXE boot menu - if I can get WinPE working with the new HP ProDesk 600 G1 computer then I wont use LinuxPE but I thought I would give it a try, then when I couldnt see it on the PXE boot menu I thought I would post about that too.

Cheers

• 9.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Apr 01, 2014 09:48 PM

1) package should never be installed on the SMP.  It causes issues.  It should only be used on Site Servers.  In fact that COULD be the problem, but I would hesitate to promise that...

2) Waiting 15 minutes may not be enough.  You need to actually launch Task Manager and SEE bootwiz run.  If it does not, then it "failed" and requires troubleshooting.  There are a number of reasons it may not start after clicking "recreate" so long as you have "apply settings immediately" selected on that screen as well.  Assuming you have NO other NBS servers, then this should take place on the SMP and you should see BootWiz start within only a couple of minutes after clicking "Recreate".

(Sadly, there is no way to monitor the behavior of BootWiz within the console.  Sorry.)

3) You can verify if the drivers are "ready" to be added to preboot by looking in BootWiz for them.  There are articles on this:

a) bookmark the Recommended Reading List for methods of troubleshooting all sorts of things, found here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO92284

b) on that list you should look at http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO95200 to see if that helps explain some things.

Try the first 2 at least on this list to see what happens.  There IS a BootWiz log that is created if BootWiz isn't rebuilding correctly and ... well, we'll go from there.  :D

• 10.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Apr 03, 2014 07:49 AM

Hi Thomas

Thanks again for the reply

1) I was reading the User Guide for the installation, and it didnt mention about not adding the Package Service to the same server as the Symantec Notification Server and Deployment Server - I have now removed the tick from the "Add/Remove Services" and can confirm the Package Service now shows as Not Installed, when I click on the server name under Site Servers in Site Management

2+3) For the drivers in Bootwiz, Following the guide "HOWTO95200", if I navigate to Program Files\Altiris\Deployment\BDC\bootwiz\Platforms\WinPE\x86(or X64)\Drivers\custom\drivers

then I can see the folder E1D64x64 and the drivers in there.

So from this, I assume that BootWiz is running

I am going to delete the WinPE environment and re-create another one

I will come back to you with the results of whether the HP ProDesk 600 G1

boots into WinPE 4 ok. 

Cheers

• 11.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Apr 03, 2014 12:16 PM

Remember, the only way to determine if Bootwiz is running is via Task Manager (right-click the start bar).  The driver location you pointed out tells us that the drivers are there to compile in.  There was an issue though where sometimes those drivers are NOT comnpiled in due to missing files.  DISM would attampt to compile in the drivers and fail.  This could be seen in the BootWiz logs, which are a bit tricky to read, but you can actually see DISM calling for those drivers, and if it fails, well, then your preboot environment will be rebuilt - without the drivers.  Cool eh?  Oh, and no warning or error ever reported to the console - only in the logs.  Yeah, it's like that.

So, after building the new environment, if you're still seeing that, you may want to look at the BootWiz logs.  The good news is that on the SMP, those logs are created by default.  They're in a subfolder NEAR bootwiz I think called logs...  I really need to spin up my SMP...  Doing so today....

• 12.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Apr 03, 2014 12:36 PM
      |   view attached

Right then, here are the results:

I created two WinPE4 environments (one 32Bit Only and one 64Bit Only), and opened Task Manager straight away and I could see BootWiz running

The HP ProDesk 600 G1 computer manages to receive an IP address on the 32Bit WinPE, but not on the 64Bit WinPE (keep getting the restarting DHCP message)

So I think that there might be something wrong with my download of the 64Bit versions of those drivers. I assume the drivers themselves on the HP website are ok because JuniorDS said he has the 64Bit version working. So I will try re-downloading the driver pack again and extracting the 64-Bit driver again, then add to the driver store and click the button to re-build the WinPE environment

If that still fails, then I guess I will just stick with the 32Bit version

I can see a file called Bootwiz.txt in the folder \Program Files\Altiris\Deployment\Logs

There is quite a lot in there - I have saved the stuff relevent to the time I created the new WinPE environment (called WinPE4-64) and have attached it (hopefully it will come through - the size is 1.2MB)

Attachment(s)

txt
    bootwiz_0.txt   1.21 MB 1 version

• 13.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Apr 04, 2014 07:15 AM

I am making progress

The new HP ProDesk 600 G1 computer now obtains an IP address in the Win PE4 64Bit environment

This is what I did:

1. Re-downloaded the HP Client WinPE 4.0 x86 and x64 Driver Pack - v1.01 Rev. A (2 Dec 2013) - from http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_bd9b6997fbc7fc515f4cf4626f5c8d01=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253Dvc_126349_1%257CswEnvOID%253D4053%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.tpst=bd9b6997fbc7fc515f4cf4626f5c8d01&sp4ts.oid=5387440&ac.admitted=1396608152511.876444892.199480143
    2. Extraced files to a folder on server
    3. Added the driver in Driver Management - selecting:
      • Preboot tab
      • location  = \x64_winpe\driver - network\intel\WIN8
      • OS = WinPE
      • Architecture = x64
    4. Recreate the Preboot environment
    5. Open Task Manager and see BootWiz in the Processes tab
    6. Once Bootwiz has finished then boot the  HP ProDesk 600 G1 computer into the WinPE4 64Bit environment

This is exactly what I had done before when I had the Package Server service running on the same single server - so maybe that was the problem, or maybe the 64bit WinPE4 driver became corrupted somehow.

Now I have a new problem - in both the 32-Bit and 64-Bit WinPE4 environments the  HP ProDesk 600 G1 computer and my other Elite 8000, 8100, 8200 and 8300 computers all boot ok but stop at the point where the DS agent should run, ie the last things in the command box are:

Launching the agent

Startup.bat was successfully called!

Calling custom actions....

Startup complete

If I do an IPconfig at this stage I get an ip address, and I can ping servers on the network ok, so I know the network driver is working in WinPE4 ok

The DS server has the tick for responding to computers in the 3 different computer types (Unknown, Predefined, and Managed) and the Initial deployment has the job set

The Initial Deployment has the job I want (which has the disk image I imported from DS 6.9 using the Resource Import Tool)

Do I need to have the Package Server service running for the agent to start in WinPE4? Page 125 on the DS 7.5 User Guide (creating a windows image)

Ive tried looking in the User Guide and searching the forums but I cant find what I need. I found this page https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ds-75-hf4-agent-not-starting-after-image-deployment but it is a slightly different problem.

Just to confirm, the DS 7.5 server has hotfix 5 (clicking help -> about Symantec Management Console, it shows version 7.5.1670)

Cheers

• 14.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Apr 04, 2014 07:52 AM

Just an update to my previous post today (04/04/2014) about the agent not running in WinPE4 (both 32Bit and 64Bit):

I found this post https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/pect-agent-missing-automation-ds-75 and looked at the following location on my server

C:\Program Files\Altiris\Deployment\BDC\bootwiz\oem\DS\winpe\x86\Base

I opened runagent.bat and can see the regsvr32 commands that I see on the command box on the computers in WinPE4. At the end of this file is

@echo off
    REM start "Your chance to edit pectagent.ini before agent launch" /wait notepad "x:\program files\altiris\altiris agent\pectagent.ini"

echo Launching the agent
    "x:\program files\Symantec\Deployment\pectagent.exe" /regserver
    start "pectagent.exe" "x:\program files\Symantec\Deployment\pectagent.exe"

echo Startup.bat was successfully called!

On the command box on the computers in WinPE4 I see the output that is in the echo commands above, and I can also see the pectagent.exe file in C:\Program Files\Altiris\Deployment\BDC\bootwiz\oem\DS\winpe\x86\Base\Program Files\Symantec\Deployment

On the output of command box I can see drive X is mapped, and I can see the files when I do a dir command.

The person (EricH) on that forum posting said he he had authentication errors on IIS and that he started a fresh install with HF3 and all worked.

Mine was a fresh install with HF4 (installed at the end of March), and I now have HF5.

• 15.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted Apr 04, 2014 09:40 AM
      |   view attached

On the PectAgent.log file in the X: drive of the computer in WinPE4 I can see the following error:

[2014/04/04 13:21:23.708 1752:1756 2] AgentGlobals.h:112 RegisterLibrary: LoadLibrary Failed to load x:\program files\Symantec\Deployment\BaseTaskHandlers.dll
    [2014/04/04 13:21:23.708 1752:1756 0] AgentGlobals.h:114 Agent Exception, Could not laod file ErrorCode=0, SystemError=0
    [2014/04/04 13:21:23.708 1752:1756 2] apps\DeploymentClient\PECTAgent\PECTAgent.cpp:144 Stopping PECTAgent. Please check for Network configuration or server name resolving problem and try again.

I assume this is what is stopping the agent from running and therefore my image from not being deployed to the computer

Attachment(s)

txt
    PectAgent.txt   3 KB 1 version

• 16.  RE: Hp ProDesk600 G1 - Integrated Intel® I217LM preboot driver

Posted May 20, 2014 03:48 PM

Just to clarify, for 7.5 / WinPE 4.0 if we use that pack we only need to be adding the Win8 drivers right? My understanding is PE4.0 is built on 6.2? If I browse to the Win7 dirver they can be added. If I browse to the Win8 driver I get "Driver could not be added to preboot OS." I'm using HF5. I also tried recreating the bootdisk and I still get that error after it's done.

the part that throws me off is in bootwiz the PE4 references the PE3.1 source and says version 6.1. So which is it?

[WINPE40_X64]
    OS=WINPE
    OS_SUBTYPE=WINPE4
    OS_SUBSUBTYPE=WINPE40
    PROCESSOR=X64
    INSTALLED=True
    ENABLED=True
    PXECREATE=True
    BUILD=2008.1.3.11
    SOURCE=C:\Staging\Altiris_DS_Preboot_WinPE_3.1_x64.exe
    TYPE=add-on|DS Pre-boot Pack WinPE 3.1 for x64
    VERSION=6.1.7601.17514