Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  HPZ230 Ghosting

Posted Feb 18, 2015 11:35 AM

I understand there are alot of questions and answers out there on this. I am currently trying to restore an image that I had already created on a HPZ230 machine. I PXE boot most of my machines as its easier than trying to get a cd into the drive and having to load off an external usually. Everything goes smooth until the image that is being restored errors out at about 25% of the way in. It appears as though its attempting to load the MBR on a GPT. I understand i can probably turn it off but being i already have an image i would much rather not spend another 2 hours preparing an image that works fine. I also use a utility called mbautil or 3com used for creating boot images. My issue is that i can not for the life of me remember what the commands are to load himem.sys into upper memory to allow for this image to work( In the config.sys file). I have the correct pathway for himem.sys as it works fine with other non GPT partitions, i also have the correct machine number and cpuclock is set to on. Any help on this would be great, I realize that the program im asking about doesn't have much to do with support for ghost but I'm sure someones run into the same issue.

BTW I'm sure everyone would like an error code, which should be 10008 unexpected end of file

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: HPZ230 Ghosting

Posted Feb 18, 2015 12:39 PM

Himem.sys is the driver that allows other programs to be loaded high - it cannot be loaded high itself.

You don't mention what version of Ghost you are using, or whether you obtained updated binaries via a support agreement, but the standard Ghost 2.51 does not support UEFI bioses period.  Of course DOS does not understand GPT partitions so that is a bust out of the box.  You need to be working with a WinPE boot if you want to be able to handle non MBR partitions.  Ghost 3 is due for release middle of March and should address all these issues.

• 3.  RE: HPZ230 Ghosting

Posted Feb 18, 2015 12:51 PM

I appreciate the help but while i may be wrong about what himem.sys is for, i have seen  ghost work as long as the boot image is configured properly. I am using the ghost solution suite 2.51 but the 3com(boot image) program runs along tftpd32 to allow for the ghost console to PXE boot. I have also tried using a ghost console boot disc with tcp/udp connections allowed. I can't wait for ghost 3 to come out though so i dont have to use all these work arounds. If i cant find a solution before then I'll look more into clonezilla in the meantime because I've had other technicians in my department tell me that it loads MBR  and GPT partitions just fine.