Video Screencast Help

Hyper-V 2012 Server host backup solutions

Created: 29 Oct 2012 • Updated: 29 Oct 2012 | 5 comments

Current Physical Infrastructure:

• SBS 2011 Server (2008 R2) - AD, DNS, BE2012, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010
  • 2008 R2 Server - Application server
  • 2003 R2 Server - AD, DNS, couple applications
  • 2003 Server - Application server

Backups are being done to a USB drive swapped daily as our 124T tape autoloader recently died and we decided to get by shortly on these drives

Proposed Physical Infrastructure:

• Dell PowerEdge R910 running Hyper-V 2012 Server hosting the above 4 servers as VMs

My questions relate to how or whether I can continue to use BE2012 when it is running on a VM instead of a physical server.  I haven't been able to find much documentation on this as most of it is from the more standard Windows Server 2012 running Hyper-V setup.  Any and all replies welcome as we are currently evaluating virtualization.

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

AmolB's picture

Backup Exec media server on a VM is not recommended as there may be issues accessing physical

devices( tapes drives or USB drives).  

JoshMCG's picture

So what would be a solution for this type of setup as I can't install BE2012 on the Hyper-V 2012 Host?  Would I need to keep a physical server around with BE2012 to backup the VMs then?

AmolB's picture

Well a Physical server would be the best option for BE media server. 

Backup Exec will detect devices only if its detected by the OS. So if you could manage the devices 

to work well with the OS than BE will work as expected.

JoshMCG's picture

From my brief understanding of Hyper-V 2012 Server, it is simply a stripped down version of Windows 2012 server's Hyper-V using only DOS/Powershell from the console (and remote management from Win8 or W2k12, thus why I can't install the BE host directly on it.

pkh's picture

What you are using the Core edition which is a stripped-down OS and you cannot install BE on a Core edition.  You would need to use a physical machine for your media server.