Video Screencast Help

Hyper-V & BESR 2010

Created: 23 Jul 2010 | 5 comments

Hi All,

I have one BESR 2010 License for ONE Server at the moment (Backing up Exchange 2007 with it), it is installed on the Exchange Server itself.

I have two Hyper-V Host servers (not in a cluster - independent), Would I just purchase the Hyper-V Agents (according to the number of Virtual Machines) and then push them via the already installed BESR 2010 I have and that would be it ? or would I need to purchase something else too?

Most of our VMs use Dynamic VHDs (not differencing or pass through), would that be a problem ?

Thanks & Regards
D

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Chris Riley's picture

Your best option would probably be to purchase BESR Virtual Edition:

http://www.symantec.com/business/backup-exec-syste....

This is licensed per host and gives you unlimited BESR server licenses to use in your Windows guest machines (only applies to Windows, not Linux).

Hope that helps.

Digerati's picture

Would dynamic VHDs be a problem ? I read some where on these forums (and can't seem to find that thread again) that Backup Exec System recovery and Backup Exec doesn't supports dynamic vhd ?

is that true ?

I know they don't support VMs with a Physical Pass through disk attached.

Thanks

Chris Riley's picture

This is taken from the BESR 2010 user guide:

To create a backup of a running virtual machine, the following conditions must be met:

The guest virtual machine should be configured to only use basic disks, not dynamic disks.
This is the default for installing a Windows virtual machine.

If you attempt to perform a backup when the conditions above are not met, Backup
Exec System Recovery creates a system state recovery point that is
crash-consistent.Acrash-consistent recovery point captures the virtual machine
as if it had experienced a system failure or power outage.

NOTE: there are other conditions but I've just copied the one that relates to your query.

Digerati's picture

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply ; I think we got confused on "Fixed Size VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) and Dynamic VHDs (Virtual hard Disks)"

A virtual machine uses a VHD which is either FIXED or Dynamic VHD (Expands as required)

The Disks are Basic on our Servers - so seems like it should be ok.

Now, I came across this thread : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/besr2010-symsnapsys-bsod

Is this true that BESR 2010 won't be able to backup a running VM (Windows 2003, 2008, 2008R2) ? with all integration services installed ?

I am planning to install BESR 2010 in a VM of 2008R2 (testing) and then push agent to a 2003R2, 2008 VM and backup them upto a NAS.

I have the trial I downloaded, would it give me the functionality to push agents to a couple or 4 machines (VMs) and back them up ?

Kind Regards
Thanks for your replies.

Chris Riley's picture

The blue screen issue with Hyper-V is now resolved (as per the link in the thread you found). Is that what you were asking?