Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  I am not able to login to the SEPM console 12.1

Posted Jul 04, 2013 02:49 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

Am an Endpoint Security Engineer and we are using Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 . Everyday i used to login SEPM console for managing SEP Clients, but today morning i got an error message when trying to login SEPM Console. 

The Error message is am getting is "Failed to connect to server"

I have done few Troubleshooting to solve this issue and i will list down below.

1.  i have checked for symantec services in services.msc , symantec database service was stopped so i restarted and after few seconds the services stopped automatically.

2.  i tried repairing the SEPM through add or remove programs but i am getting the error like Embedded database is not found.

3. we are using Embedded database and i came to know that the ODBC database file is removed automatically so i want the steps to add ODBC in my server.

Kindly give your valuable support to solve this issue .i am also attaching the error screenshots for your reference

• 2.  RE: I am not able to login to the SEPM console 12.1

Posted Jul 04, 2013 02:55 AM

There is no way that it would be removed automatically. Did someone delete sem5.db?

1. Click Start button and select Run.  If the Operating System is 32 bit, enter "%systemroot%\system32\odbcad32.exe".  If the Operating System is 64 bit, enter "%systemroot%\syswow64\odbcad32.exe"
    2. In the ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog box, click System DSN.
    3. On the System DSN tab, double-click SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN.
    4. On the ODBC tab, verify that the Data source name drop-down list is SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN and type an optional description.
    5. Click Login.
    6. On the Login tab, in the User ID text box, type dba.
    7. In the Password text box, type the password for the database. This password is the one that you entered for the database when you installed the management server.
    8. Click Database.
    9. On the Database tab, in the Server name text box, type<\\servername\instancename>. If you use the English version of Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, type the default, sem5. Otherwise, leave the Server name text box blank.
    10. On the ODBC tab, click "Test Connection" and verify that it succeeds.
    11. Click OK.
    12. Click OK.

• 3.  RE: I am not able to login to the SEPM console 12.1

Posted Jul 04, 2013 02:56 AM

Check  if the sy antec article help you

Error when logging to Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager: "Failed to connect to server". Unable to start the embedded database service.

Article:TECH134782  |  Created: 2010-01-07  |  Updated: 2013-05-16  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH134782

Check the thread as well

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sepm-failed-connect-server-service-starts-then-stops#comment-8592351

• 4.  RE: I am not able to login to the SEPM console 12.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 04, 2013 03:07 AM

pass on the scm-server-0.log

• 5.  RE: I am not able to login to the SEPM console 12.1

Posted Jul 04, 2013 03:14 AM

• 6.  RE: I am not able to login to the SEPM console 12.1

Posted Jul 04, 2013 03:45 AM

Hi i am attaching the scm-server-0.log file for your reference.

2013-07-03 11:24:16.283 THREAD 12 SEVERE: ================== Server Environment ===================
    2013-07-03 11:24:16.283 THREAD 12 SEVERE: os.name = Windows Server 2008 R2
    2013-07-03 11:24:16.283 THREAD 12 SEVERE: os.version = 6.1
    2013-07-03 11:24:16.283 THREAD 12 SEVERE: os.arch = x64
    2013-07-03 11:24:16.283 THREAD 12 SEVERE: java.version = 1.7.0_09
    2013-07-03 11:24:16.283 THREAD 12 SEVERE: java.vendor = Oracle Corporation
    2013-07-03 11:24:16.283 THREAD 12 SEVERE: java.vm.name = Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM
    2013-07-03 11:24:16.283 THREAD 12 SEVERE: java.vm.version = 23.5-b02
    2013-07-03 11:24:16.283 THREAD 12 SEVERE: java.home = C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\jre
    2013-07-03 11:24:16.283 THREAD 12 SEVERE: catalina.home = C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat
    2013-07-03 11:24:16.283 THREAD 12 SEVERE: java.user = null
    2013-07-03 11:24:16.283 THREAD 12 SEVERE: user.language = en
    2013-07-03 11:24:16.283 THREAD 12 SEVERE: user.country = IN
    2013-07-03 11:24:16.283 THREAD 12 SEVERE: scm.server.version = 12.1.2015.2015
    2013-07-03 11:25:14.331 THREAD 12 SEVERE:
    org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory ([Sybase][JDBC Driver][SQL Anywhere]Database server not found)
        at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createPoolableConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1549)
        at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1388)
        at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:1044)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.db.util.DatabaseUtilities.getDataSourceDBConnection(DatabaseUtilities.java:398)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.db.util.DatabaseUtilities.getDefaultDatabaseConnection(DatabaseUtilities.java:285)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.db.util.DatabaseUtilities.getDefaultDatabaseConnection(DatabaseUtilities.java:270)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.db.util.DatabaseUtilities.getDefaultDatabaseConnection(DatabaseUtilities.java:260)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.db.util.DatabaseUtilities.getDBConnection(DatabaseUtilities.java:2490)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.db.util.DatabaseUtilities.testConnection(DatabaseUtilities.java:2447)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.servlet.StartupServlet.init(StartupServlet.java:131)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.initServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1266)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1185)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:1080)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:5015)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5302)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:895)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:871)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:615)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:649)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDescriptor.run(HostConfig.java:1585)
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: [Sybase][JDBC Driver][SQL Anywhere]Database server not found
        at sybase.jdbc4.sqlanywhere.IDriver.makeODBCConnection(Native Method)
        at sybase.jdbc4.sqlanywhere.IDriver.connect(IDriver.java:772)
        at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DriverConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverConnectionFactory.java:38)
        at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:582)
        at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.validateConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1556)
        at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createPoolableConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1545)
        ... 26 more
    2013-07-03 11:25:14.362 THREAD 12 SEVERE:  in: com.sygate.scm.server.servlet.StartupServlet
    com.sygate.scm.server.util.ScmServerError: Failed to connect to database after tried 20 times, please start the database!
        at com.sygate.scm.server.servlet.StartupServlet.init(StartupServlet.java:132)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.initServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1266)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1185)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:5015)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5302)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:895)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDescriptor.run(HostConfig.java:1585)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
    2013-07-03 11:25:14.518 THREAD 12 SEVERE: DomainId: null
    SiteId: null
    ServerId: AC4C19C2AC1C53C901C3F1EF12E9B9D1
    SystemEventId: 1281
    EventDesc: Unexpected server error.
    MessageId: 1
    ErrorCode: 268500992
    com.sygate.scm.server.util.ScmServerError: Failed to connect to database after tried 20 times, please start the database!
    com.sygate.scm.server.util.ServerException: Unexpected server error.
        at com.sygate.scm.server.util.ServerLogger.log(ServerLogger.java:385)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.util.ServerLogger.log(ServerLogger.java:354)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.util.ServerLogger.log(ServerLogger.java:350)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.servlet.StartupServlet.init(StartupServlet.java:280)
    Caused by: com.sygate.scm.server.util.ScmServerError: Failed to connect to database after tried 20 times, please start the database!
        ... 17 more
    2013-07-03 11:25:17.576 THREAD 12 SEVERE: SEM: Connect to database failed
    java.sql.SQLException: SEM: Connect to database failed
        at com.sygate.scm.server.db.util.DatabaseUtilities.getDefaultDatabaseConnection(DatabaseUtilities.java:341)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.util.logging.DbLogHandler.publish(DbLogHandler.java:58)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.log(Logger.java:522)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.util.ServerLogger.log(ServerLogger.java:387)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.util.ServerLogger.log(ServerLogger.java:354)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.util.ServerLogger.log(ServerLogger.java:350)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.servlet.StartupServlet.init(StartupServlet.java:280)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.sygate.scm.server.db.util.DatabaseUtilities.getDefaultDatabaseConnection(DatabaseUtilities.java:289)
        ... 23 more

• 7.  RE: I am not able to login to the SEPM console 12.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 04, 2013 03:52 AM

check for the space on the hard disk.

is the DB service started?

can you try repair SEPM?

• 8.  RE: I am not able to login to the SEPM console 12.1

Posted Jul 04, 2013 05:03 AM

Hi rafeeq ,

No body has deleted the sem5 file . Actually the cause of this problem is disconnection of the powersupply to the server with out proper shutdown.

i also checked ODBC Data Source Administrator dailog box ,under the system DSN tap i don't have any sources listed

• 9.  RE: I am not able to login to the SEPM console 12.1

Posted Jul 04, 2013 08:51 AM

its not able to find the DB. are you able to see the sem5.db?

in the odbc configuration you can click on browse and point it to sem5 

Have you tried Repair of SEPM from add/remove programs?

Follow this document

Error when logging to Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager: "Failed to connect to server". Unable to start the embedded database service.

• 10.  RE: I am not able to login to the SEPM console 12.1
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 05, 2013 01:51 AM

i thank everybody who has given their support for me to solve my issue.

I would like to close this post by adding the steps which i had done for solving this issue.

1. i started symantec embedded services from services.msc , it starts and stops automatically with an error     telling " Symantec Embedded Database cannot be started "

2. Then i go to the path where the sem5.db file is located "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec           Endpoint Protection Manager\db" then i deleted the sem5.log file .

3.  Then i created the new sem5.log file using this command in cmd prompt " dbsrv12 -f  "C:\Program Files        (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\ASA\win32"

4.  Now i gone to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db " location and one new sem5.log file has been created.

5. now i restarted the server 

6. after restarted i started the symantec embedded service , then i tried login sepm console with the username and password.

7. the problem is solved .