Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

I hope that version 7.5.0.5 is being worked on....

Created: 09 Oct 2012 | 12 comments

Our sites just jumped from 7.1.0.4->7.5.0->7.5.0.4 (and 2.0.3->2.5.0->2.5.1 on our 5220's) and here's the list so far of stuff that worked in 7.1 that doesn't quite work in 7.5:

1) On the Detailed Status tab of Job Details the Current File field is blank.  For long running, single thread backups that have different byte counts each time this can be critical to see what directory the backup is working on.  I've looked at both the Windows Admin Console and the Java Console, same thing.

2) Image Cleanup jobs causing multiple code 10's and code 83's when working on the same 5220 PureDisk pool as the backups were writing to.  This also might be a symptom of item #3...

3) The Maximum Concurrent Jobs setting does not seem to apply to SLPs.  So a disk pool can get overwelmed if it is near its limit and several SLPs kick in at once (there also needs to be a Max Active Threads setting in each SLP).

4) The basic list of clients located at Host Properites / Clients can't be copy/pasted.  The new export command gives too much detail (and it crashes the Java Console) when all I want is the client name and version for my SysAdmins.

On the other hand, I do like that the status (active/suspended) of SLP's can be displayed in the Admin Console (although that field should have been turned on by default and wasn't).  And I hope to get approval to build some Indexing Servers soon so that looks like fun.

Comments 12 CommentsJump to latest comment

CRZ's picture

Thanks very much for your feedback on 7.5.0.4!

You should probably call us and open some cases to get better answers than the ones I'm going to half-give you right now...

1. I feel like I've seen this one on Connect before - please open a case and reference Etrack 2112301.  I believe this will be fixed in 7.6 for sure, but unless people are very noisy about this, any fix probably won't make it into 7.5.0.5.

2/3. My guess is there IS an Etrack or documentation that covers this, but I can't find it.  If there isn't, you would need to open a case to get one started.

4. I believe there is something on the command line that would give you what you want, and it's in another discussion here on Connect, but you might want to start another thread and let the experts weigh in with their experience.

I hope at least some of that is helpful!

bit.ly/76LBN | APPLBN | 75LBN

D.Flood's picture

Thanks!

As long as #1 is known, I'll take the regular fix/upgrade once it is released. 

Turns out #2 and #3 were a symptom of a rebasing issue.  I had to call this morning after the dedup pool dropped completely offline.  I'm uploading log and core files right now.

As for #4 I'll do some more searches in Connect.  You're right that there has to be a command line to retrive that info someplace in the system.

revaroo's picture

Not sure if 7.5.0.5 is coming but 7.6 is!

Dip's picture

The command to get all clients list is bpplclients -allunique -M master_name   

thesanman's picture

Am told the fix to 1) On the Detailed Status tab of Job Details the Current File field is blank is in v7.5.0.5 (early next year) and v7.6.

NBU v7.5.0.6 Master and Media servers on RHEL 5/6 & Win2008; SAN based LTO3, 4 and 6 tape libraries
Linux, Solaris, Windows and OpenVMS clients.
PureDisk, SLP, VMware, HyperV, Oracle, Netezza, SQL/Server,

D.Flood's picture

Thanks!

Given my experiences with 7.5.0.4 (and 2.5.1) I think I'll wait at least six months after anyting new comes out before I even think about upgrading...

thesanman's picture

Same issue for me.  I haven't even started full testing v7.5.0.4 because I'll have to re-test when the next version comes out.

Problem is I have business needs for later vSphere support and I'm told Win2012 is in v7.6 ... maybe I'll wait for that but then I'd not touch that until .1 comes out!

NBU v7.5.0.6 Master and Media servers on RHEL 5/6 & Win2008; SAN based LTO3, 4 and 6 tape libraries

MMoret's picture

At SymVision last week version 7.5.0.6 came up as the release to support VMware vSphere 5.1.

So I guess 7.5.0.5 will be released as well.

Regards,
Martijn

CRZ's picture

Please note the original responses to this thread were back in October.

Plans constantly change and may change again.

Please don't make any firm plans around rumoured releases or release dates unless you're able to quickly change them when reality strikes!

Rest assured we will make sure you definitely receive any official announcements here on Connect... when the time is ready to make such announcements.  :)

bit.ly/76LBN | APPLBN | 75LBN

TimWillingham's picture

Last I heard 7.6.0.6 is due out this summer for Win2012 client support.  I just upgraded a RHEL master to 7.5.0.5 and see the job details problem still exists.  I have opened a case for it.

thesanman's picture

Interesting; it works for me (under v7.5.0.5) on RHEL.  Is it related to the Master server or to the media server; mine are also upgraded.