Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

I know the 2012 multiple server 1 job limitation but can somebody clarify something plz?

Created: 16 Nov 2012 • Updated: 06 Feb 2013 | 9 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have been thrown into a new client who has Backup Exec 2012 installed. They still back up to an LTO Tape drive!

I have spent all day trying to work out how the hell u put multiple servers into 1 job and i found my way to this forum and found out......YOU CANT!

So..........

I need to backup my media server and then i need to backup a remote server with the agent installed.

I can just about live with having 2 seperate jobs.

But can somebody please confirm this will work:

JOB1 for Media Server - Set to Overwrite, no eject.

JOB 2 for remote server - Append, dont overwrite, eject.

Will this allow me to get both servers onto 1 tape in 1 night?

I dont know who at Symantec woke up and thought this server based backup rather than job based was a good idea but i prey to god they are no longer employed!!!

TIA for the clarification i need.

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

Donald Eady's picture

Should work just fine Andrew.. view the following doc

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189306

Be sure that the jobs are using the same media sets and storage destination

For the first job be sure to set the overwrite protection period long enough to ensure that it will be completely protected through the completion of the second job and set jobs to 'Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available’ set the second job to eject the media after completition. 

I hope this posting was helpful

SOLUTION
Andrew` Thompson's picture

Donald, please could you clear 1 thing up for me,

That technote states:

Enable the option ‘Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available’ in each job

If my second job cant find any media i dont want it overwriting the data from the first job!

Will is still work if i choose the

"Append to media, terminate job if no appendable media is available"

Thankyou

pkh's picture

Your job will not overwrite the backup set from the first job if you have set the OPP to an appropriate period. For example, if your OPP is 2 days, then the backup set from the first job cannot be overwritten until 2 days have lapsed.

wwshaffer's picture

I read that this limitation was being addressed several months ago. What is the truth of the matter? When will a patch be released to take care of this?

wwshaffer's picture

I read that this limitation was being addressed several months ago. What is the truth of the matter? When will a patch be released to take care of this?

pkh's picture

This and other features will be brought in the next release of BE.  However, there is no announcement as to when the next release will be released.