Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

I want to make an UNMANAGED Client into a Managed Client SEP 12.1.2015 2015

Created: 29 Apr 2013 • Updated: 29 Apr 2013 | 7 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I want to turn an unmanaged client into a managed client. I have copied the Sylink.xml to the following directory

\\PCNAME\c$\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection

I have restarted the machine since SEP no longer gives us any option to restart services.

After the restart the PC was STILL NOT managed even though I copied the Sylink over.

Where am I going wrong here?

Windows 7 64 BIT PC.

SEO 12.1.2015 2015

I do not want to upgrade just yet, but I do want to make this client managed, this is going to be part of our standard going forward.

Thank you

Operating Systems:

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

On the unmanaged client, go to the SEP install directory. Than go into the Bin folder. Sylinkdrop.exe should be in there. Run it and browse for the sylink.xml file and select it. Click "Update Sylink" and it should do its thing.

Than verify the SEP client is contacting the SEPM.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

The Conquistador's picture

I have to do this remotely, I can NOT do it on the local machine. Aren't there any options to do it remotely any more?

.Brian's picture

You need to delete the sylink.bak file as well. And you need to do an smc -stop, otherwise it will just do what it is doing for you. You can push this from the SEPM using the Communication Update Package Deployment. It's pretty straightforward.

Restoring client-server communications with Communication Update Package Deployment

Article:HOWTO81109  |  Created: 2012-10-24  |  Updated: 2013-01-30  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO81109

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

SOLUTION
The Conquistador's picture

This is not going well, the first time I pushed, it failed, the second time I pushed, it just hangs and does nothing.

.Brian's picture

Is a password required to stop the SMC service?

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

Sylink.xml location has changed in SEP 12.1

How to change the sylink.xml file in Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH157585

What is the location for Sylink.xml in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH165055

Chetan Savade
Sr.Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

Ninja123's picture

Hello,

Default Location of the Sylink.xml file for Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 clients:
(Note: Be sure to configure Windows Explorer to show hidden folders.)

Windows Vista/7/2008/2008 R2: Drive:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\CurrentVersion\Data\Config

Windows XP/2003/2003 R2: Drive:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\CurrentVersion\Data\Config