Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Icon for SAV for Linux does not appear on Ubuntu 12.10

Created: 27 Dec 2012 • Updated: 28 Dec 2012 | 12 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

My installed OS is Ubuntu 12.10, 64 bit, English and the current kernel version is 3.5.0.21-generic

After installing SAV for Linux 1.0.14-13, I noticed that the icon does not appear on the Launcher. The Launcher is the vertical bar on the left-hand side of the screen or monitor.

How do I enable it please?

Comments 12 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

Run the command:

/path/to/symantec_antivirus/savtray &

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Be Creative. Be IT's picture

Hi Brian81,

It seems that your reply is incomplete.

What comes after the sign & ??

As always thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

.Brian's picture

Unfortunately, I'm not a Linux guru, it was the exact syntax I found in one of the KB articles. So unless the article is wrong, I would run as shown (unless you already did and it didn't work?). Please keep us updated on the result.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Feedback to Brian81

See below for the action that I took earlier:

sharon@sharon:~$ /opt/Symantec/symantec_antivirus/savtray

No icon is visible on the Launcher.

Could someone help me out please?

Ashish-Sharma's picture

Hi,

Check this artical may be help

Symantec AntiVirus for Linux Savtray GUI Does not appear in Ubuntu with Unity

Article:TECH199921  |  Created: 2012-11-20  |  Updated: 2012-11-22  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH199921  

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

@ Ashish

I have tried it and the instructions in the technical article that you referenced did not solve my problem.

Any further suggestions please?

Ashish-Sharma's picture

HI,

Best way you can raised support ticket for same....

Customer Support Assistance

http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

How to create a new case in MySymantec

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH58873

Phone numbers to contact Tech Support:-

Regional Support Telephone Numbers:

• United States: 800-342-0652 (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)
  • Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)
  • United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000

Additional contact numbers: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_t.

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

Mick2009's picture

Hi all,

These steps from the article/readme will work.  I have tested them on a fresh Ubuntu 12.04.1 server.

...please execute the following command lines on a desktop terminal with the user account you login desktop system:

systraywhitelist=`gsettings get com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist`

echo $systraywhitelist

if the output includes "Savtray" string, then re-login desktop system, if not, execute the command line:

systraywhitelist=`echo $systraywhitelist | sed "s/, 'Savtray'//g"`

systraywhitelist="${systraywhitelist%]}, 'Savtray']"

gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "$systraywhitelist"

then re-login desktop system.

With thanks and best regards,

Mick

SOLUTION

Hi Mick2009

Thanks for your offer of help.

I will try it out and report back here.

Meanwhile, there is a more urgent request which I hope you will help me (since you are running Ubuntu 12.04.1 distro). It is here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sav...

To: Mick2009

These steps from the article/readme will work.  I have tested them on a fresh Ubuntu 12.04.1 server.

Well, according to the technical documentation on SAV for Linux, Ubuntu 12.04.1 is a supported distribution as well as kernel version.

I am using the latest Ubuntu version which is 12.10 with kernel version 3.5.0.21. According to the same documentation, it is a supported distribution but unsupported kernel version.

I am using the latest SAV for Linux version which I believe to be 1.0.14-13, am I right?

This is a follow-up to my earlier post made about 15 minutes ago.

I tried your method a second time and after rebooting my computer, I had to do the following:

1. I clicked on "Dash Home" icon on the Launcher.

2. A window pops up. On the "Search" row, I typed in the word "symantec" (without quotes).

3. An icon for Symantec Antivirus showed up.

4. I right-clicked on it and the window changed to Symantec Antivirus with a button called "Launch" (without quotes)

5. I clicked on the button and viola, a small icon appeared at the top right hand corner of the screen, on the horizontal menu bar.

6. Right-clicking the small icon on the top right hand corner of the screen gives you two options: "Open Symantec Antivirus" or "Exit".

I wish to add that after I rebooted my computer twice, the small icon was still docked on the horizontal menu bar.

Your method works for Ubuntu 12.10, kernel version 3.5.0.21, 64-bit, English.

You may wish to update the relevant technical documentation.

Kudos to you!