Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

IDR on Windows 2008 Server R2 (64Bit) with Backup Exec 12.5

Created: 18 Aug 2010 • Updated: 04 Nov 2010 | 2 comments

Hello Community,

we are using Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 (Rev. 2213) on a Windows 2003 Server.

Last week we got a new Server with Windows 2008 Server R2 (64 Bit). When i make a full backup of the server, Backup Exec does not create a dr file for Intelligent Disaster Recovery. Why? Do i need to upgrade Backup Exec 12.5 or configure a special thing on the remote Windows 2008 Server R2?

Thank you!

P.S.: I proceeded a full backup including IDR a lot of times. In this case i made the backup as usual.

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

Colin Weaver's picture

You might be runnign into one of the changed features on 2008 R2 that is not compatible with BE 12.5

Basically BE 12.5 (with the latest Hotfixes to get 2008 R2 support) is compatible with any features in 2008 R2 that were also in 2008 - but is not compatible with any new features of R2.

if Microsoft changed the way that ASR information is generated on 2008 R2 then it would almost certainly affect the ability of our IDR process to generate a DR file. As such I'd suggest that you consider upgrading to BE 2010 (R2) which is fully designed to support 2008 R2 .

Note it is possible that 12.5 should be able to generate the DR file on 2008 R2 and that you are experiencing some form of environmental issue that is stopping the DR file generation.

schmidtm's picture

Thank you for your help! I updated Backup Exec 12.5 with the help of LiveUpdate (installing Service Pack 4 including the last Hotfix).

After that I tried a full backup again but the .dr file was not created.

Note it is possible that 12.5 should be able to generate the DR file on 2008 R2 and that you are experiencing some form of environmental issue that is stopping the DR file generation.

What should I check? Does anybody have an idea to get Backup Exec 12.5 working with Windows 2008 Server R2?