Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Imaging HP T5740 Thin Clients using DS 6.9

Posted Dec 10, 2010 06:33 PM

I have been struggling for some time to configure a HP T5740 Thin Client to communicate with DS 6.9 (SP4) so that we can take as well as distribute images to these devices. Currently we do not have the ability to set up a PXE server, so I need to be able to either boot the T5740 from an USB removable drive with an Altiris automation loaded, or install an Altiris bootworks partition on the Thin Client. I have tried booting from a USB removable drive with DOS, Linux and WinPE automation loaded without any success. I have also tried installing a bootworks partition using all OS flavors, again without any success. When trying to install a WinPE automation partition, I get prompted that there is not enough space, even though the T5740 has over 1GB of free disk space. I have tried installing a LinuxPE automation partition, however whenever it boots into the partition, it not only does not communicate to Altiris, but it just keeps rebooting after the automation loads. My understanding is that there are issues with DOS automation.

Just to add, the HP T5740 has Windows Embedded Standard as it's OS and also ships with the Altiris client preinstalled, so it should be supported by DS.

If anyone has successfully managed to either install an automation partition or even got a T5740 to boot to automation via USB removable drive, I would greatly appreciate any details you can provide in terms on how you were able to do that task.

• 2.  RE: Imaging HP T5740 Thin Clients using DS 6.9

Posted Dec 13, 2010 09:17 AM

Hi Greg.

I did not find a DOS driver for T5740 that work, but booting from an USB drive with WinPE does. I had to add the Broadcom driver manually in the bootdisk creator.
    Use the Windows Vista driver for WinPE 2.1.