Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Imaging problems with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Nov 07, 2006 08:13 PM
    Running GSS 1.1 on Server 2003.

Trying to ghost Dell Optiplex 745 running XPSP2.

Remote client installs (service is running, computer shows up in machine group etc.) However cannot create an image or ghost with an existing image. Errors out at Virtual Partition. Error message is "failed to reboot client to recovery partition".

Any suggestions?

• 2.  RE: Imaging problems with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Nov 08, 2006 04:44 PM
    Hi Michael,
    This sounds like a network card driver problem.
    Does the client machine boot to Virtual Partition and return to Windows immediately?

What is the network card on the machine? And which network card driver template have you assigned to the machine in console?

Cheers

Chris

• 3.  RE: Imaging problems with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Nov 08, 2006 05:25 PM
    Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.

Yes the machine briefly boots to PC DOS and immediately returns to Windows.

The NIC is a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit. I assigned the Broadcom BCM57xx template to it in the console.

After your post I tried the two other Broadcom NetXtreme templates, without success.

Michael

• 4.  RE: Imaging problems with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Nov 09, 2006 03:04 AM
    Hi Michael,
    It may be helpful to try and see the error message that is displayed during the machine's reboot in DOS.
    To do this, press F8 repeatedly just after the machine reboots and before it starts booting DOS. You can then step through the startup files and record the message that is displayed onscreen.

Also, have you tried the "Universal Packet Driver" network template?

Cheers

Chris

• 5.  RE: Imaging problems with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Nov 10, 2006 10:59 AM
    Hello Chris

When the problem first occurred I did try the Universal Packer driver. However your line of thought put me in another direction.

During the boot process, the NIC could not be seen (even though it is enabled in the BIOS). So in the BIOS I enabled the NIC w/PXE, along with using the Universal Packet Driver. Now the NIC is visible and the client can boot into the virtual partition.

Interesting since the GX620 has the same NIC and these BIOS/Network template changes aren't necessary. Perhaps because the NIC in the 745 has a newer firmware version. Anyway thanks for your assistance.

Mike

• 6.  RE: Imaging problems with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Nov 13, 2006 02:11 PM
    Mike,

Regarding your problem, this may be of assistance: Our company just got in a whole new batch of Optiplex 745s. I created a bootable multicard template which included the BCM57xx as one of the templates. When booting into ghost from the USB drive, the template was not found. I had to actually download the driver package from Dell and import the NDIS2 driver into the ghost boot wizard. So if it helps, this may be a reason that you're receiving failures when using this template. Good luck.

Jason

• 7.  RE: Imaging problems with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Jan 15, 2007 08:38 AM
    Hi Guys,

This is exactly the problem I'm having at the moment I have enabled the NIC w/PXE in the BIOS but was wondering if someone could tell me how to use this Universal Packet Driver? Hopefully if I can use this I can over come my problem

Thanks

• 8.  RE: Imaging problems with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Jan 22, 2007 08:07 PM
    Go to the Broadcom website and get their drivers for your chipset of integrated NIC.
    We have 5751 Chipset here which I identified with SISoft Sandra on our new 745's.

Also very important if you are going to use Sysprep at all don't update to Media Player 11 before running Sysprep as it hangs it on reboot.