Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Import CCS 10.5 queries and standards into CCS 11

Created: 12 Apr 2013 | 10 comments

Hello,

We are currently running CCS 10.5 and have a lot of RMS queries and a few CCS standards setup.  We are in the process of installing CCS 11 on some new servers.  Is it possible to export the queries and standards from 10.5 and import them to 11?  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Operating Systems:

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

jsarlouis's picture

Thanks, that will help a little. I was hoping to find some utility or app that could help migrate the queries, because we have a lot more queries than standards. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Matt Plourde's picture

I would love if there was a utility... Symantec probably has something in their back pocket... hopefully.

Rick_D's picture

If anyone from Symantec could comment, I personally have 750 custom sql queries that I need to move to CCS v11.  Manually re-writing these queries and scheduling them will be tedious so any tools or suggestions would be very helpful!!

Matt Plourde's picture

Yes, this would be nice to have...

Unfortunately, the scheduling will not be carried over. We have robust scheduling options in RMS, and shitty ones in CCS. I do have a formal feature request to change that, but who knows. 

ahumphries's picture

We have the same issue...I don't want to recreate all of our queries. I'm not worried too much about scheduling...just importing the query definition would be the basic requirement.
This is a major feature in 10.5.x and below. Can't believe Symantec would not include this.

cmccoy2's picture

As far as I know a migration utility for queries has been discussed, however due to the fact of many different scenarious including scope files, deprecated fields, etc.  nothing has been planned for the near future.  I would recommend keeping a small 10.5 infrastructure around to be able to run those queries.  You could possibly export a query in 10.5 and then build the same query in 11 and export it and then compare the xml files.  I realize that is not an optimal solution, but I think that is all that is available at this point.  I am sure there will be an announcement if anything changes with regard to this.

ahumphries's picture

Just to detail our issue and explain why we cannot export 10.5.1 queries and import into our new 11 environment.  But depending on the scenario, there are ways to upgrade and not have to export/import into v11.

I have exported a query from v10.5.1 then created the same query in v11 and exported.  They are absolutely, completely different format.

One issue behind issues of not being able to export from old and import into new is because of going from a Windows Server 2003 SP2 32-bit to a new Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit.  Primary reason is that Windows 2003 ADAM is totally different than Windows 2008 R2 ADAM (which is now called AD-LDS). 

A solution is just to leave an RMS instance of 10.5/10.5.1 and continue to use.  Apparently there is a third-party adapter for bringing in RMS data into CCS 11. 

Couple of other ways I was told to get around this and possible scenarios (not tested) - none of which work for us, though.

1.  If you are going from a Windows Server 2003 32-bit to another Windows Server 2003 32-bit or 64-bit, no issues.   Just install the old 10.5/10.5.1 version on the new Windows 2003 server, backup old ADAM and SQL databases, then restore ADAM and SQL database on new server. Verify all is good on new server then perform an upgrade to v11.  This was not an option for us since we are going from Windows 2003 32-bit to to 2008 64-bit.

2.  If you must upgrade from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008, potentially you could do an in-place upgrade of Windows Server from 2003 to 2008 on the same box and apparantely all ADAM instances will get converted to the new AD-LDS format.  Found this info on Microsoft's site.  Not sure if this will actually work with the ADAM instance with CCS but theoretically may work.  This was not an option for us either since we must move to new hardware equipment.  Also, I would not want to use an imaging/cloning tool and bring any previous Windows issues and/or CCS 10.5.1 issues over to the new server. 

All for now.

ahumphries's picture

Just curious if there is any movement on importing 10.5 queries into v11?