Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

IMPORT POLICIES FOR DLP 10.5

Created: 16 Nov 2012 • Updated: 11 Dec 2012 | 9 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

SOMEBODY KNOWS HOW I CAN IMPORT POLICIES FOR  VONTU DLP 10.5. I FOUND THIS PATH: /opt/Vontu/Protect/config/templates BUT DON´T WORKS. I HAVE COPIED THE FILE ON THIS PATH AND WHEN I TRY TO GET THE FILES DON'T APPEARS.

Thanks in advance

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

Moved to DLP forum

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

yang_zhang's picture

This is the first step you import the policy: copy the xml file to the location /opt/Vontu/Protect/config/templates

Then, you need to log into the DLP Enforce Console, choose to add a policy, and select add from template. At the end of the templates list, you will find out your policy name that you copyed to /opt/Vontu/Protect/config/templates.

If a forum post solves your problem, please flag it as a solution. If you like an article, blog post or download vote it up.
Raul Ramirez's picture

hello yang_zhang,

I've been copied the file as you as mentioned, but don't  works and i don't  know what do do.

regards.

stephane.fichet's picture

hello raul,

Does your source and destination are at the same DLP version ? If not it will be a little bit more tricky to import them.

If they are, so once you have copied xml templates to the directory you mentionned you can use them when you create a new policy (from a template) but not directly as policy. some kind of rules cannot be exported so be sure this is the right way to proceed if you want to copy policy from one solution to another.

regards.

Raul Ramirez's picture

hello  stephane,

In fact the source and destination have the version 10.5. And as you as mentioned i have copied and import them to the right path, i think so, but don´t works. Its possible that  error is in the  file rights? when i copy the file to the destination.

thanks

stephane.fichet's picture

- check that xml template are readable by protect user on your enforce server.

- you can also try to restart "Vontu Manager" service. It should not be necessary but it can solve some issue sometimes when everything seems to be crazy.

- did you export this template from the same OS system. If you tranfer them from linux to windows (or win to linux) you can have some file format issue. in this case, you can perform a dos2unix or unix2dos in your unix environnement.

so if it still doesnt work and if it allowed you can share the template with us (or privately with me) and i can check file content/format/.....

SOLUTION
Raul Ramirez's picture

Sthepane,

hi, how are you. Sorry for write until now,  only i want to tell you that export policies works. The solution as you mentioned is:

first, that  the file template are readable by protect, in my case was root and i had it to changed

and second the file xml was conteined one special character (á) can you belive it. I think this one was the even worse error.

thanks for you help.

best regards

kishorilal1986's picture

Hi Rahul,

Exporting A Policy as a Template

• In the Enforce UI, navigate to the Edit Policy page.
  • Note the link at the bottom that says "Export this policy as a template". Click it. This will offer up an xml file for download.
  • Save it.

Your template is served 

Importing a Template as a Policy.

• Save a template file under <VONTU_INSTALL>/Protect/config/templates on the enforce server.
  • Make sure the file is readable by the "protect" user.
  • In the Enforce UI, Navigate to Add Policy -> Add a policy from a template.
  • Scroll down to the "Imported Templates" section at the bottom. You ought to see an entry for the template you just placed in the templates directory.
  • Select it and go to the next step. 

If the policy in the template does not have any EDM/IDM/DGM conditions, you will now have a new policy.

If the policy in the template has EDM/DGM conditions, you will be asked for a Database index during import. You can choose to not provide any Database index, in which case the corresponding conditions will be dropped from the created policy

If the policy in the template has IDM conditions, you will be asked for a Document index during the import. Again, you can choose no index and drop the conditions.

If the policy being imported has both EDM/DGM AND IDM conditions, you will be issued a warning and the IDM conditions will be dropped.