Video Screencast Help

Incremental Backup in symantec exec 2010 R3

Created: 07 Jun 2013 | 16 comments

We are using symantec exec 2010 R3 in that i configured an incremental backup. But i can only restore the last day modified data, if i want to get an old data i should find out the last modified date of that file then only i can able to restore the file. I think i have to do some more configurations can any one please help me.. Its urgent

Operating Systems:

Comments 16 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

What you are doing is correct.  If you want the last version of the file, you got to restore from the last incremental/differential backup.

ABHINATH TS's picture

Thanks for the reply.

But i cant able to get the last version of files from my backup. Only i can able to see some folders. can u tell the step by step process for a incremental backup in symantec exec 2010 R3.help me

ABHINATH TS's picture

when i try to restore only folders restore not files. But i can restore from my full backup

pkh's picture

When you do an incremental backup, only new files and files modified since the last full or incremental backup would be backed up.  All other unmodified files will not be backed up.

It would be useful for you to post some screenshots to illustrate your problem.

ABHINATH TS's picture

then when i try to restore a file , whether i want to find out the last modified date?

if you dont mind can u sugest the steps for how to perform an incremental backup and a restore method. so that i can identify my fault easily. Please do it will be helpful for people like me

Donald Eady's picture

Here is an article for your review on best practices for B.E. 2010 GRT

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21773

I hope this posting was helpful

ABHINATH TS's picture

hai Donald,

if you dont mind can u sugest the steps for how to perform an incremental backup and a restore method. so that i can identify my fault easily. Please do it will be helpful for people like me

ABHINATH TS's picture

then when i try to restore a file , whether i want to find out the last modified date?

if you dont mind can u sugest the steps for how to perform an incremental backup and a restore method. so that i can identify my fault easily. Please do it will  be helpful for people like me

pkh's picture

To restore a file/folder backed up by the incremental backup method, you restore the full backup then the incremental backups up till the time that you want.  For example, you do a full backup on Sun. and incremental backups from Mon. - Thu.  If you want to restore a file/folder to where it was on Wed. then you restore the full backup, followed by the Mon. incr. backup, then the Tue. incremental backup and finally the Wed. incr backup.

ABHINATH TS's picture

It wil be helpful if u explain it throgh snapshot. can u help

CraigV's picture

...you probably need to do some reading up on this in the Admin Guide too, because you will end up with more questions than answers.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

ABHINATH TS's picture

I didnt get u!

if you dont mind can u sugest the steps for how to perform an incremental backup and a restore method. so that i can identify my fault easily.

dl2rcf's picture

then when i try to restore a file , whether i want to find out the last modified date

if you dont mind can u sugest the steps for how to perform an incremental backup and a restore method. so that i can identify my fault easily. Please do it will  be helpful for people like me

Hi there,

I had a similar problem letting BE2010’s restore job restore over various incremental backups. As stated by Symantec in this article, this can be an “error-prone” operation in BE2010 and is not fully supported until BE2012’s PIT (point in time) recovery:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/simplified-restore-workflow-be-2012

However, together with the Symantec hotline I found a solution for our organization (where files get only added, not changed or deleted. So restoring over multiple incremental backups is trivial). I have not tested this in a complex scenario, where various changes have to be applied to the files in the exact order of backup since the last full backup.

Any way, Symantec recommends a full backup at least every month, even though in our non-complex scenario it works if you do it every year.

Here is the workaround:

1. Open Restore Window (not the assistent but standard)

2. Select the drive(!) (though you can't select the checkbox you surely can mark the drive letter). (At least in German Version 2010 R3 SP2 you have to mark the drive or step 5 won't work properly(!))

3. Click on search catalogs

4. In catalogs window select check box "search directories". Be sure to have the dates including all your desired possible backup dates.

5. enter the search mask e.g. foldername: "myfolder"/ path: "grandparentfolder\parentfolder". Ressource should be filled in yet due to marking it in 2. Have fun searching with wildcards (At least in German Version 2010 R3 SP2 wldcards won't work properly(?) https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/bug-wildcards-both-be2010-gui-bemcmd-command-line-applet-not-working-properly-restore-searchi)

6. click on start and sort results by size. All relevant backup dates should have > 0kB size and should be marked for restorage

7. Click on Apply

ABHINATH TS's picture

admin guide where it is?

Can u tell the step for incremental backup

dl2rcf's picture

estore the full backup then the incremental backups up till the time that you want.

Do You have to do that MANUALLY?! Can't BE 2010 restore all needed backups (full/ incrementals) regarding the file/ folder You want automatically up to that date one by one?

I have the same problem here. Since we can't do full backups (to much data every day added ~ 200GB) and very few changes of that data after time, we did a full backup "once" and since then only incrementals.

So I have the problem that I don't want to browse the snapshots by hand for data relevant for restoring a specific directory...

Anyone an idea to tell that BE 2010?