Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Install of SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1 on HP machines with Windows 7 is failing

Posted Jun 28, 2012 02:23 PM
      |   view attached

Hi all!

One customer is having a problem installing the antivirus SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1 on some of his HP machines 32 bits. When deploying from the manager, the installation completes but no antivirus is installed.

After running Cleanwipe and try to install locally with a client downloaded from fileconnect, a message appear at the end of the installation saying that it was interrumpted and could not complete.

I attach you the SEP_INST.log expecting some help that would be greatly appreciated!

Attachment(s)

txt
    SEP_INST log.txt   1.39 MB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Install of SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1 on HP machines with Windows 7 is failing

Posted Jun 28, 2012 04:39 PM

Check these 2 might work..

Please take a backup of the registry before proceeding further.

1. Open Regisrty Editor
    2. Browse to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    3. Select the Expandable String Value 'AppData' and change the value to : %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming
    4. Close the registry editor
    5. Delete folders for Sep if found under c:\program files\
    6. C:\prgramdata\
    7. or C:\users
    8. Reboot the computer
    9. Install SEP client again.

Secondly

Please confirm if you are able to install SEP 12.1 unmanaged with only "Virus and Spyware Protection".

If we are able to install SEP with basic protection then we can try below steps to install SEP with all features installed.

1) Create a Test Group

2) Edit Application and Device control policy for Test Group.

3) Click on Application Control.

4) Uncheck the option "Protect client files and registry keys" .

5) Create a new package so that the clients report to the Test Group.

6) Use the package for installation .

Please Check if the installation works.

• 3.  RE: Install of SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1 on HP machines with Windows 7 is failing

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 06, 2012 03:40 PM

Hello,

Few lines within the SEP_Inst.log seems to be in Spanish. Is the OS on the machine in Spanish?

I would request you to perform a manual removal of the SEP client from the SEP and Reinstall.

Check this Article:

Methods for uninstalling Symantec Endpoint Protection

Hope that helps!!

• 4.  RE: Install of SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1 on HP machines with Windows 7 is failing

Posted Jul 09, 2012 02:07 PM

I've had this problem several times. Nothing is a sure thing in getting it to work. However, Swapnil has good suggestions.

Here's what I usually do:

1. Run CleanWipe and restart the computer.
    2. Make sure no other installations have started - Windows Update or any other software distributions.
    3. Attempt to run an installation exported from the SEPM console. I usually run a full export and not an EXE because those usually fail in cases like this. Don't do a silent installation because sometimes the installer will give more clues than the log file. I've had the installer tell me files were missing, but the log file only says 1603, which basically means nothing other than the installation failed.

If it still fails, do the manual uninstall as Mithun Sanghavi suggests. If you haven't done one before, be prepared to work on it for an hour or so. After restarting, make sure no other installations have begun and attempt to install.

• 5.  RE: Install of SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1 on HP machines with Windows 7 is failing

Posted Jul 10, 2012 02:42 PM

Rightly mentioned by Dsmith . Check the last line mentioned by Dsmith "After restarting, make sure no other installations have begun and attempt to install." i got it fixed in similarly today on one of my Machine.

you might try killing msiexec.exe if you see another install in progress aftere reboot or disable windows installer service as soon as reboot is complete . Easiet thing to do would be once install is complete Disconnect the Network cable and then reboot .