Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Installation and Configuration Hypver-v Backup Exec 2012

Created: 09 Oct 2012 • Updated: 09 Oct 2012 | 8 comments

Hi

My name is Denis and I am using Backup Exec 2012 to Backup performing the following environment:

3 physical machines on Hyper-V cluster, virtualizing multiple virtual machines.

I installed the agent on one of these machines and physical machines appears only local Hyper-v, not showing option to backup the machines that are clustered.

I noticed some comments in the forum, but no concrete help me.

Thank you for your attention.

Denis

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

Please check the link below for hyper v cluster backup

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64567

Also check best practisces for hyperv agent and that should help you too

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74442

Thanks

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.

Sush...'s picture

Hello Denis,

You need to install the Backup Exec Remote Agent on all the physical Hyper-V host machines (3 in your case).

Then in Backup Exec 2012 you need to add the name of the Hyper-V cluster which will show all the VMs which are in cluster.

Select the VMs for backups from this cluster name server.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

Fecomerciomg's picture

Good morning!

Sush, had installed a license in one of my physical hosts, but still did not work. It only takes a virtual machine from Active Directory that is where a server disk. Those that are clustered by the agent installed does not appear.

I did a test asking him to install on my Hyper-V Cluster by typing the name (ip) of the same.
Oh yes he apereceu machines in the cluster, but I think I will have problems with licensing, for licenses bought for my three physical hosts.

Another issue is his open vhd to backup certain files, it does not aperece when asked to back up.

Sush...'s picture

Hello Denis,

I would receommend to install Backup Exec on another seperate server  and not the Hyper-V servers as they are in cluster.

So install BE on another server and then add the Cluster name of HyperV in Backup Exec. This will ensure that all the VMs are shown in Backup Exec.

You need to install Backup Exec Remote agent on all the HyperV host servers. Licensing of HyperV agent is as per the number of host machines.

So as you have 3 Hyper-V host machines then in any case you will have to buy 3 Hyper-V agents of Backup Exec.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

Fecomerciomg's picture

Sush,

Exactly. I just got a dedicated server with Backup Exec 2012 installed.

In it are already inserted the licenses.

On the environment are:

1 Dedicated Server with Backup Exec 2012
3 Servers in Hyper-v Cluster (With Hyper-V installed on all three)

I have licenses for 3 Hyper-v agents.

What you want to say and I have to install the agent on the three, besides installing the cluster (which has an ip address and a name)?

They would charge a license no extra for doing this?

About backing up what's inside the virtual machine, could not figure out how.

Thank you.

Denis

Sush...'s picture

Hello Denis,

You need to install the Remote Agent (not complete BE... just the agent) on all the HyperV host. You will not be charged extra as you also already have 3 Hyper V Agent licenses.

Also install Remote Agent on all the HyperV virtual machines. Again this will not be extra charged as you can install any number of Remote Agents on the VMs when you have the license for the host.

To backup whats inside the VM install RAWS and then add that VM in Backup Exec. This will allow you to browse the data inside the VM from Backup Exec console.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Fecomerciomg's picture

Hi Sush.

As I understand it so I can install the Hyper-v agents in the three physical servers, and sends an agent to the cluster. And it will not be charged anything additional.

And installing agents on virtual machines to back up that desire will not be charged anything adiconal (in relation to licensing), since agents Hyper-V allow me to perform this procedure.

With that I can backup the VHDs, beyond that desire inside of virtual machines through their own agent installed within the respective virtual machine.

Thank you.

Sush...'s picture

Hello Denis,

As I understand it so I can install the Hyper-v agents in the three physical servers, and sends an agent to the cluster. And it will not be charged anything additional.

--> YES

And installing agents on virtual machines to back up that desire will not be charged anything adiconal (in relation to licensing), since agents Hyper-V allow me to perform this procedure.

--> YES

With that I can backup the VHDs, beyond that desire inside of virtual machines through their own agent installed within the respective virtual machine.

--> YES

Thanks,

-Sush...