Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Installation instructions for 12.1 update?

Posted Aug 23, 2011 05:37 PM

I downloaded a series of executables through FileConnect, but did not see any installation instructions for the update.  Before I start launching the executables, I'd like to know if there are any special instructions?

I downloaded all 5 offered files:

Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_SBE_12.1_...

...Full_EN.exe (what is this?)

...Tools_EN.exe (what is this?)

...Win32-bit_Client_EN.exe (do I run this on all of the 32-bit clients?)

...Win64-bit_Client_EN.exe (do I run this on all of the 64-bit clients?)

_WinSEPM_EN.exe (do I run this on the server?)

We are currently running SEPSBE 12.0.

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Installation instructions for 12.1 update?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Aug 24, 2011 06:22 AM

Hello,

Alright, seems you have downloaded all the files provided for you to download.

Let me make you understand.

Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_Full_EN.exe- This is the compressed executable which includes the Entire Softwares i.e; SEPSBE 12.0. which includes installation for SEPM, SEP (32 bit / 64 bit) , SEP for MAC and SAV Linux.

Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_Tools_and_Documents_EN.exe -  Is the Compressed Executable with all Tools (Supported and Unsupported) and Documents, which you can use for troubleshooting and other purposes.

Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_Win32-bit_Client_EN.exe - Is a SEP Client 32 bit provided for Testing / Production purposes incase, you want to use it as unmanaged.

Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_WinSEP_SEPM_EN.exe - Is a SEPM provided for Testing / production purposes.

Usually, I would recommend you to Download the Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_Full_EN.exe and Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_Tools_and_Documents_EN.exe as it includes everything you may need.

Hope this Helps!!!

• 3.  RE: Installation instructions for 12.1 update?

Posted Aug 24, 2011 10:54 AM

Thank you, but what are the installation instructions?  I.e, do I simply double-click the SEPM file on the server and double-click the Client files on the clients?  Can it be installed without taking the system down, or do I need to do it after hours?  What special precautions need to be taken, if any?  Is there a KB article for upgrading procedures going from 12.0 to 12.1?  I am a little surprised that I am handed a bunch of .exe files with no procedures.  I will be pleasantly surprised if it's a simple matter of launching the executables!

Thanks for your help.

edit:  just to clarify, I received an email from upgradecenter@symantec.com informing me I was eligible to upgrade to 12.1 for free.  It provided a link to get the software through FileConnect, but there were no installation instructions in either the email or the FileConnect interface.  It simply allows me to download the various .exes but does not provide or give links to upgrade instructions. 

• 4.  RE: Installation instructions for 12.1 update?
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Aug 24, 2011 11:25 AM

Hello,

Here is an Article which has all the articles which may helps you during Migration Process.

Quick Access to Symantec Knowledgebase Articles of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

This Documents would helps you via all migration.

Hope this helps!!!

• 5.  RE: Installation instructions for 12.1 update?

Posted Aug 24, 2011 05:10 PM

Thank you.  A lot of reading to do, so I'll get on it.  I saw this comment:

"You can upgrade to the current version of the product while the legacy clients stay connected and protected."

which is promising, I just have to find in the documentation how this works.