Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Installation of SR2013 fails with fatal error.

Created: 03 Mar 2013 | 4 comments

Hi,

I'm installing System Recovery 2013 Trial on a Win 7 x64 desktop and the installation fails with this message:

FATAL ERROR: Error 1327.Invalid Drive: Z:\ 

I had several SMB shares mounted and mapped to drive letters on this machine before I started the first installation attempt. All were working fine. I have since disconnected all of them, including Drive Z: and rebooted the disktop AFTER disconneecting the drives.

The error persists, and I am still uinable to install.

I am running the installation using a local account with administrator privileges.

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

Operating Systems:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

tonypalmer's picture

Hi again,

Forgot to add: I've successfully installed the software on a Win 7 X64 laptop with the same network shares mapped.

Tony.

Mahesh.Nayak's picture

Is the install being attempted locally or through a network share

Are we trying to Un install / re-install the software ?

please refer : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH160028

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s) ***

HariSingh's picture

If this is fresh install scenario, this is msi issue, mostly, the issue is caused by personal setting was mapped to a shared external drive, could you please check it?

To check it:

1. Click Start, type regedit and press Enter.
2. Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

And

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

on Right side Search for environmental variable which refers path as Z drive. If yes, then you can resolve the path with actual drive say C.

Hope it helps.

tonypalmer's picture

Hi all,

the problem has been resolved. The desktop had a shared network drive mapped to the Documents folder. When I re-mapped it back to the C: drive, Windows failed to update the registry and there were still references to the Z: drive (the network share). 

When I edited the registry and removed references to the network share, the install completed correctly.

Tony.