Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Installed 11.0.5 Win7x64 Enterprise, killed Authentec fingerprint reader software

Posted Oct 01, 2009 06:20 AM
    Using a HP2710p, installed the Authentec fingerprint reader software from here: (http://www.authentec.com/win7beta64.cfm). Everything worked great for a few days. I did not have Endppoint installed until I installed 11.0.5, and then the Fingerprint reader software no longer works. The device is seen, the driver installed, but the trusuite application is not seen. I attempted uninstallation, reinstallation, but it errors out when trying to enroll my fingerprint. Uninstalled Endpoint, and still the fingerprint software is broken. Message says.."The selected fingerprint reader has no management application installed". It appears in the Programs and features, when I run the installation .app, it asks to remove it. Shows in device mgr as Authentec AES2510A, version 8.0.10.9064.

• 2.  RE: Installed 11.0.5 Win7x64 Enterprise, killed Authentec fingerprint reader software

Posted Oct 01, 2009 06:43 AM
     Try repairing or re-installing your Authentic Fingerprint software and when you install SEP make sure you install Antivirus Antispyware and Network Threat Protection only as Proactive threat protection is not supported on 64 bit systems.

• 3.  RE: Installed 11.0.5 Win7x64 Enterprise, killed Authentec fingerprint reader software

Posted Oct 02, 2009 01:36 AM
    The first time I installed Endpoint, Proactive Threat was not installed (although I thought it was checked). Since then, I re-read one of the documents that says to run the vcredist_x64.exe installation first, then the setup.exe.

Not sure what happened, but without Endpoint installed, I reran the uninstallation and installation of Authentec one last time and it actually worked, so I was able to configure the software for my fingerprint properly. Then, I ran vcredist_x64.exe and setup.exe. Now, the Endpoint client shows AV and AS protection and Proactive Threat Protection installed, On, and No problems detected, and the fingerprint software still functions.

What bad things happen with Proactive Threat Protection on x64? Why is it even a choice if it doesn't work and is not supported?

• 4.  RE: Installed 11.0.5 Win7x64 Enterprise, killed Authentec fingerprint reader software
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 04, 2009 02:59 PM
     Well yes it is not supported and neither does it work on 64 bits systems so there is no chance of any bad thing happening on 64 bits.Since it is of no use on 64bit system so better not install.It is there as a choice bcoz it will be supported very soon.

• 5.  RE: Installed 11.0.5 Win7x64 Enterprise, killed Authentec fingerprint reader software

Posted Oct 05, 2009 12:05 AM
     Just to add to this. Nothing "bad" will happen but you are missing out on quite a few features that are only available on 32 bit platforms. A good list of those features can be found here: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007022310384648. Also Vikram is right when he says that full 64 bit support is in development, it just takes time.

Grant-