View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Installed SEP 12.1.4 from SEPM Export Package and now slow boot

ℬrίαη

ℬrίαηDec 16, 2013 12:11 PM

• 1.  Installed SEP 12.1.4 from SEPM Export Package and now slow boot

Posted Nov 13, 2013 03:56 PM

Hi folks,

Just bought a brand new HP Elitebook 8570p with Windows 8.  Downloaded the 8.1 version and other updates, installed office and Acrobat with no issues at all.  We run Symantec Enterprise Protection AV and I installed the latest SEP client  (12.1.4 as an export package) for managing AV, and since then when it reboots it takes about 10 minutes to get to the login prompt.  The event log complains about Event ID 6005 and 6006 and long logins.

This is a domain computer, but the please wait for 10 minutes occurs before login, so I don't think it's a script or anything.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Installed SEP 12.1.4 from SEPM Export Package and now slow boot

Posted Nov 13, 2013 03:58 PM

This hasn't been the first thread to mention slowness with 12.1.4

What components are installed?

You may want to open a support case so this can be looked into. You will need to supply packet traces and advanced logging depending on which component it could be.

Have you tried disabling the SEP fw (if installed)?

• 3.  RE: Installed SEP 12.1.4 from SEPM Export Package and now slow boot

Posted Nov 13, 2013 04:36 PM

I will try disabling SEP and see what happens.  I will call for a support case as well.

• 4.  RE: Installed SEP 12.1.4 from SEPM Export Package and now slow boot

Posted Nov 13, 2013 04:46 PM

Verify all the component engines updated as well:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH211972&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1384379101765

See at the bottom of the page for versions.

• 5.  RE: Installed SEP 12.1.4 from SEPM Export Package and now slow boot

Posted Nov 14, 2013 07:38 AM

Disabling did not help, but I uninstalled SEP and it instantly booted up normally.  Must be the SEP install causing it.

• 6.  RE: Installed SEP 12.1.4 from SEPM Export Package and now slow boot

Posted Nov 14, 2013 07:47 AM

Was ita  fresh install or an upgrade?

You can try running cleanwipe and then install 12.1.4

Good to work with support as they will analyze the logs which is causing the issue.

• 7.  RE: Installed SEP 12.1.4 from SEPM Export Package and now slow boot

Posted Nov 14, 2013 08:04 AM

It is a brand new laptop with Windows 8.1. Installed SEP from an Export Package via SEPM, because the push install wouldn't work. It installed fine, but then the next reboot was a 10 minute "Please Wait" before the login screen.  Disabling SEP didn't work, so I tried to uninstall.  After uninstall, it booted normally again. 

Is it because the push install didn't work, and I installed via Export?  In SEP, it showed my SEPM server as being the server, so it seemed to work OK.

• 8.  RE: Installed SEP 12.1.4 from SEPM Export Package and now slow boot

Posted Nov 14, 2013 08:30 AM

Best thing to do here is get a case open. They will walk you thru what logs to provide as well as packet traces

How to create a new case in MySymantec

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58873

Phone numbers to contact Tech Support:

Regional Support Telephone Numbers:

United States: https://support.broadcom.com (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)
        Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)
        United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000

Additional contact numbers: http://www.symantec.com/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

To narrow it down to which component is the problem, start out with only AV than add PTP, than NTP.

• 9.  RE: Installed SEP 12.1.4 from SEPM Export Package and now slow boot

Posted Nov 14, 2013 08:50 AM

Hello,

the way you installed the product does not matter, the difference is in the way you drop the setup.exe into the system (automatically via the SEPM or manually once exported) but the rest is the same.

May you share the content of Event ID 6005 and 6006?

• 10.  RE: Installed SEP 12.1.4 from SEPM Export Package and now slow boot

Posted Dec 16, 2013 12:09 PM

Same problem here in Windows 8 on a Fujitsu computer.

Upgraded to Windows 8.1 but the problem persists.

Removed all SEP features except Virus and Spyware Protection : the problem persists.

Uninstalled SEP 12.1.4 : the problem disappeared.

Installed SEP to 12.1.2 (even not supported, I know) : the problem returns.

Removed SEP 12.1.2 : The problem has vanished.

Without SEP installed no more event ID 6006 and 6005 taking more than 600 seconds.

Thank You All.

Andrea

• 11.  RE: Installed SEP 12.1.4 from SEPM Export Package and now slow boot

Posted Dec 16, 2013 12:11 PM

May want to call support...

• 12.  RE: Installed SEP 12.1.4 from SEPM Export Package and now slow boot

Posted Jan 15, 2014 05:06 AM

Hello,

Did it solve with you .. because same problem here slow with SEP12.1.4 with win 8.1

BUt did you try disable UAC ?

• 13.  RE: Installed SEP 12.1.4 from SEPM Export Package and now slow boot

Posted May 27, 2014 03:35 PM

These are exactly the symptoms I'm experienceing with two Dell notebooks and Windows 8.1 with 12.1.4 MP1a of SEP.  I have a case open right now and we are not to resolution but I've isolated this a little further.

1.  The 600 seconds are the default timeout for gpo script failures in a Microsoft active directory environment

2. We are running SBS 2008 and there is a default GPO called "Windows SBS CSE Policy" attached to the domain.

3. With the above GPO disabled, the log messages and slow boot before the login prompt dissappear.

4.  This GPO runs a startup script(before login) which loads clientagent.vbs which is responsible for installing the windows small business server client agent"

5.  I have a support case open  and I've forwarded this information and I'm waiting for a reply as to what action to take(case 06555017)

6.  This GPO is dual purpose for scripting(clientagent.vbs) the installation of the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the client agent.

I really don't think we require the "Windows Small Business Server client agent" any longer but you never know.  It is used for software delivery to client computers in the SBS environment.  Can anyone also experiencing the 600 second delay confirm that they are operating in an SBS environment?

Thanks,

Matt