Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Installing 11.0.5 on Windows 7

Posted Feb 10, 2010 11:14 AM
    I am testing 11.0.5 in my environment by installing it on a group of test PC, 2 of which are running Windows 7.  

I decided rather than installing it by hand I would mark it as available in SEPM for the OU the clients are in and have it install through LiveUpdate.  The first time I did this I was only successful on approx 3 of 15 PCs because I had set a notification/upgrade schedule/postpone option.  I ran into issue with if a user was not logged or even if the PC was locked it just never installed.   It only worked on the PCs that were logged in and the user clicked OK on the install. 

I went ahead and edited the package to not include a notification/upgrade schedule/postpone option and it pushed to all of the PC, except the ones on Windows 7, without issue.

The PCs on Windows 7 have never gotten the update, and it has been available for 2 days now.  

Is there an issue with using the SEPM to install a product update with Windows 7?  Thinking maybe UAC is preventing it, but unfortunately turning it off is not an option right now.  I could turn it off just to test but that will not be a valid solution.

On the initial "push", both my Windows 7 PCs received the notification that an update was available but the update never installed.

• 2.  RE: Installing 11.0.5 on Windows 7

Posted Feb 10, 2010 11:16 AM
     Quick addition to this.  

This group of test PCs are running Windows XP, Vista, and 7.  Installed fine on all but 7

• 3.  RE: Installing 11.0.5 on Windows 7

Posted Feb 10, 2010 11:24 AM
    yes it must be your UAC

Prepare Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, or Windows 7 computers

Windows User Access Control blocks local administrative accounts from remotely accessing remote administrative shares such as C$ and Admin$.

To push the client software to computers, you should use a domain administrative account if the client computer is part of an Active Directory domain. Remote deployment also requires elevated privileges to install.

Perform the following tasks:

• Disable the File Sharing Wizard.

• Enable network discovery by using the Network and Sharing Center.

• Enable the built-in administrator account and assign a password to the account.

• Verify that the account has elevated privileges.

• 4.  RE: Installing 11.0.5 on Windows 7

Posted Feb 10, 2010 11:40 AM

Title: 'What are some installation Issues faced during and after installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 RU5 on Microsoft Windows 7'
    Document ID: 2009111012170848
    > Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009111012170848?Open&seg=ent

• 5.  RE: Installing 11.0.5 on Windows 7

Posted Feb 10, 2010 12:14 PM
     Thanks I will give these a try.  

I honestly forgot about Windows Defender.  I however am not sure why UAC would be causing an issue on Windows 7 and on Vista it did not.  Unfortunately turning off UAC is not going to be an option I can use but we have a relatively small Vista/7 community anyway.

• 6.  RE: Installing 11.0.5 on Windows 7

Posted Feb 10, 2010 12:47 PM

• 7.  RE: Installing 11.0.5 on Windows 7

Posted Feb 10, 2010 01:21 PM
    Hi,

From what I understand you are trying to do an autoupgrade of SEP client on Windows7.

The major thing that is wrong with it is ALL the versions before RU5 were NOT supported on WIndows 7. So if you have an MR4 client  and it's not behaving as expected : ie, not auto upgrading, well that's to be expected.

Also we have identified that in some cases when you create a RU5 package from the SEPM which is either not running RU5 or has been upgraded from an earlier version, the LUCHECK and LUSETUP files are older and not supported on Windows 7.

I would copy the content of the /SEP or /SEPWin64 folder of the RU5 CD and add a sylink.xml file exported from your SEPM. Then push it via the Migration and Deployment wizard.

It would be a good idea to remove whatever previous version you installed on those Windows 7 machines first.

Let us know,
    Regards.

I would suggest you try copying the /SEP (or SEPWin64 accordingly) folder of the RU5 CD1, add a sylink.xml file you have exported from the SEPM and push this via the Migration and Deployment wizard.

It might be a good idea to remove whatever older version you have intstalled / tried to install on those windows 7 machines first as well.

Let us know.

Regards. 

• 8.  RE: Installing 11.0.5 on Windows 7

Posted Feb 10, 2010 08:06 PM
    Hello!

I have what sounds to me like a related issue. I am running SEPM that has been upgraded from a previous version (I believe 11.0.2 to 11.0.5). Today I pushed the 11.0.5002.0 client out to a couple of Win 7 PCs using the Migration and Deployment Wizard, the client installed, but installed as self-managed. I have used this package to install the client on 300 XP PCs prior to this successfully and the XP PCs all report to the SEPM with no issue and pick up the policies.

I have attempted troubleshooting the connection between the Win 7 PC and SEPM, but there is no connection issue. All tests were successful.

Can you please go into more detail on the following steps so that I may attempt this?
    "I would suggest you try copying the /SEP (or SEPWin64 accordingly) folder of the RU5 CD1, add a sylink.xml file you have exported from the SEPM and push this via the Migration and Deployment wizard."

Thank you,
    Steve523

• 9.  RE: Installing 11.0.5 on Windows 7

Posted Feb 12, 2010 10:01 AM
     Quick Update on this. 

Disabling Windows Defender, UAC, and the Firewall made no difference.  We are running MR4 on the SEPM still as I have to wait on our Server admins to upgrade that so that most likely is the cause of the upgrade not working.  

I have a manual upgrade file that support gave me and will just use that.

Thanks for all the help.