Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Installing Backup exec for use with exchange 2010

Created: 23 Jul 2012 • Updated: 02 Oct 2012 | 7 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I am trying to figure out how to install this trial to see if it will indeed do a granular restore from the mail and public store.

I have been using acronis for this for about 4 years and since we updated to Exchange 2010, (which they don't support) we are looking for another option.

Can anyone guide me on the correct installation so I can do this? I think I need a custom install, But not sure.

Thanks

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

ZeRoC00L's picture

Check this technote to start with:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Install BE and also install the Exchange agent.
Push the remote agent to the Exchange server.

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

akersrus's picture

This is a small business server, So the exchange is on the same machine. I am using the small business edition software

Kiran Bandi's picture

Are you planniing to install backup exec server on exchange server itself or do you have another server for this testing?

If you want it on a seperate server, media server must be of 64-bit and with Windows 2008 SP2 or R2 with Exchange management tools installed. 

akersrus's picture

I am wanting to test it on our SBS server. Our exchange server is on the same and only server we have. It is a 64 bit machine and OS.

CraigV's picture

It's simple...

1. Install BE.

2. Go to the licensing wizard and install the Exchange agent in trial mode. This is a 60-day trial)

3. Open up a selection list and add in the Information Store, and make sure AOFO isn't selected.

4. Run your backups.

There isn't much to it really.

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

akersrus's picture

That is where I am getting thrown. Is this a simple install? Which I don't see to many options. Or is it a custom install? Which I don't see anything pertaining to the Information store.

CraigV's picture

...the license is installed on the media server (either trial or actually licensed). If in trial, you get a 60-day trial. It is the Agent for Microsoft Exchange you are interested in.

Once done, open up a new/existing selection list (if using BE 2010 R3 or back) and browse to the Exchange server. Once you open it (assuming you have push-installed the RAWS agent...right-click --> Install Remote Agent for Windows), you will see the Information Store. Just select it there.

If using BE 2012, then you find your server in the list and open it up. Exchange should show and might already be selected.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION