Installing BE 2010 R2 on Windows SBS 2008 Premium
I'm a beginner in BE (and in SBS ...). I installed the two servers of SBS 2008 premium :
- Server 1 : SBS (Windows 2008, Exchange 2007, Sharepoint ...)
- Server 2 : Windows 2008, SQL Server 2008 (and maybe business application soon)
I bought Backup Exec 2010 R2.
My first idea was to install it on Server 2 (then I thought the Server 1 will not be "bused" by the backup processes) in order to backup :
- Itself (Server 2)
- Server 1
- Some other PC of the network
I ran the installation steps with the default installation choice until the "Installation Revue" step.
There, I can read in the installation summary that :
- I have to "install Exchange 2007 management tools on this server to be able to back up a MS Exchange Server 2007 Instance"
- The SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3 will be installed (or has already been installed) by the process, unless the SQL Server 2008 is already installed and run normally (the process never asked me to choice between both installations)
That means I will complexify this very light architecture.
So my question, after some hours searching on docs, forums and blogs :
With a SBS Premium, what is the best practice to install Backup Exec : Server 1 or Server 2 ?
Any ideas or live experience ?