Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Installing Endpoint Protection via Microsoft SMS 2003

Posted Jul 08, 2009 12:52 PM

I've been testing installing Symantec Endpoint Protection Client 11.x via SMS 2003.  We are currently running McAfee, so I have a script that I also push that will remove all the McAfee programs, In order to finish completely it requires a restart, which is being done by the SMS client, after the restart SMS starts to install the Symantec Endpoint Protection Client.  Unfortunately after every install, SMS reports a Failure.  It states

"The program for advertisement "*******" failed ("*******" - "Symantec Anti-Virus"). A failure exit code of 1 was returned. User context: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Possible cause: Systems Management Server (SMS) determines status for each program it executes. If SMS cannot find or correlate any installation status Management Information Format (MIF) files for the program, it uses the program's exit code to determine status. An exit code of 1 is considered a failure. Solution: For more information on the exit code, refer to the documentation for the program you are distributing. "

Not exactly sure why this fails, the program is set up with the settings we need and set to run silent.  I modified the advertisement to run the symantice install after a user logs in, thinking that it is not getting a nework connection with our symantec sever, but if fails with the same error.  I tried googling the code error, but found nothing.  The wierd thing is that after the I log in the Endpoint Client seems to be running fine.

Is there a special set up needed for an SMS install? or is there a certain setting for SMS that needs changed?

• 2.  RE: Installing Endpoint Protection via Microsoft SMS 2003
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 08, 2009 01:41 PM
    Here's the solution to your problem, pretty interesting archive

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/smslist/archive/2009/01/05/mssms-symantec-endpoint-protection-deployment-77s677.aspx

Mainly you have to do either one of the following:

1) Not make a single exe, so that the MSI returns the correct exit code.
    2) Set the exit code yourself as suggested.
    3) Use the /M MIF_File.mif with the msi

• 3.  RE: Installing Endpoint Protection via Microsoft SMS 2003

Posted Jul 21, 2009 02:51 AM
    Sandeep link will help you resolving your issue..hence mark his comment as solution.