Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Installing NBU patch 6.5.6 on a 3-node Netbackup Master Cluster

Created: 26 May 2010 | 9 comments

Hi,

We need to install NBY 6.5.6 patch on our Netbackup 6.5.5 cluster.

Our Environment:

• Windows 2003 x64 Enterprise x64
  • Veritas Storage Foundation HA 5.1 for Clustering 3 Master nodes
  • Mediaservers aren't clustered

How Does one best install the Maintenance pack on the 3 node Cluster?

Do I need to FREEZE the resources or something, do one server and then move on to the next?

There doesn't seem to be any information in the README for Veritas Clusters...

Any help/input would be appreciated!

Fred

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

Will Restore's picture

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/351563.htm

(scroll down to For Release Update installation on Windows CLUSTER Environment)

Will Restore -- where there is a Will there is a way

Fred2010's picture

Totally missed that! Sorry! blush

But Still:

I seem to recall it was compulsary to FREEZE the NETBACKUP Resource before doing the installation. This is not needed anymore?

Fred

Nicolai's picture

It's absolute required on Unix based VCS cluster to freeze the Netbackup group. Netbackup need to be shutdown in order for the patch process to update the files correctly (you can't overwrite a open file).

If you don't freeze the group, the patch process will shutdown Netbackup but the VCS agent will restart Netbackup right away and you end with a failed upgrade.

Assumption is the mother of all mess ups.

If this post answered your'e qustion -  Please mark as a soloution.

Sameer Jan's picture

Please take the VCS NetBackup resource offline before you begin the upgrade.

Please follow the instructions given under to apply Netbackup 6.5.6 Patch in CLUSTER Environment :

1) Install this Release Update locally on the nodes of the cluster where the NetBackup group is inactive. (follow steps 1-4 below)
NOTE:  When installing on a VCS cluster, complete the installation of this pack on a single node before you begin installing on another node.
2) Install this Release Update locally on the active node. This should be done when the NetBackup system is quiet, for example, no backups or  restores running.
CAUTION:  Do not failover the NetBackup Group until all NetBackup nodes (including the active NetBackup node) have the Release Update installed.  
 Installation steps:
1) Close all NetBackup Windows.
Make sure the NetBackup system has no active backups, restores,  duplications, etc., running. If there are NetBackup activities in process, the Release Update will require a reboot if the file to update is busy.
 If a database client is being used, such as Oracle, ensure that the database services are stopped. Database services can be stopped using the ControlPanel -> Services tool. Repeat this until all databases have been stopped. These services must be restarted once the patch is successfully installed.
 2) Run Setup.exe (Double-click on the icon from File Manager or Explorer or run it from the command prompt)
Setup.exe begins by stopping the appropriate NetBackup Services required for  the Release Update installation. Next, it installs the necessary files into the correct locations. Lastly, Setup.exe restarts the appropriate NetBackup services.
 3) Examine the install log located under the user profile that completed the  install.  The following is an example of the user administrator that completed the install.  This path may be hidden and you may need to unhide hidden or system files to view the log.
 %TEMP%\NetBackup Install.<date>.<identifying number>.log
Search the install log for the following string to determine if an error has  occurred. "Return Value 3".
 4) Remove the temporary directory created in the download instructions.
NOTE: After installing NetBackup 6.5.6 on a Windows x86 system with a BMR Boot Server, start the BMR Boot Server Service manually.
NOTE: If you are installing the Release Update using the silent install script, please review the <TEMP>.Log after the installation is  finished, a reboot maybe required to complete the installation of the Release Update.  A search of the log for the key words "in use"  indicates which files were busy during the installation.

Once you are done with the upgrade to Netbackup 6.5.6 from Netbackup 6.5.5 .
When the upgrade is completed sucessfully on all the 3 nodes of the cluster . Please Bring NetBackup resources online.

Symantec recommends that you perform a catalog backup after you have applied this

Release Update.
Download link for Netbackup 6.5.6 for Windows x64 :
Release Update NB_6.5.6.winnt.x64.exe provides fixes to the Veritas NetBackup (tm) Enterprise Server / Server 6.5 on x64 Windows server and clients. It also contains fixes for NetBackup Add-on products and Database Agents.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/351563
or Click Below to Browse the FTP files by Product:
ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products

It is a must becuase if you don't freeze the group, the patch process will shutdown Netbackup but the VCS agent will restart Netbackup right away and you end with a failed upgrade.

Completely Agree with
Nicolai

We are as happy as we make up our minds to be.

Nicolai's picture

I also used  to take the nbu_server ressource (not group)  offline before patch, but support told me not to do this as it could result the patch script detected the wrong node as master. I am not sure I agree with them however.

I still take the nbu_server ressource offline (IP and disk still on system) and freeze the nbu_group (prevent restart and fail-over).

Assumption is the mother of all mess ups.

If this post answered your'e qustion -  Please mark as a soloution.

Sameer Jan's picture

Yes , always should take the NBU_server resources offline and freeze the NBU_Group while the upgrade process.

Fred2010's picture

Don't know about linux  but on windows definately do  NOT take the resource offline before patching!

I followed Sameer's advice on this and had to spend many, many hours with support to fix my installation!

The disk volumes of the database are part of the NETBACKUP resource. If the resource is DOWN, the DATABASE IS DOWN and doesn't get upgraded during the patching! This causes the BINARIES to be 6.5.6, whilst the database still is at 6.5.5.

When this happens, the resource can't be brought online anymore as you now have an inconsistent installation!!!

The only correct way to do it is as follows:

1) FREEZE the resource and leave it ONLINE on node #1
2) Patch the inactive node #3 and wait for it to finish
3) Patch the inactive node #2 and wait for it to finish
4) Patch the active node #1
5) UNFREEZE the resource
6) Test

I suggest you edit your post Sameer, before more people follow the advice... Check the case we have been working this issue on, you will see it didn't work as suggested.

After the issue was fixed I have asked support to add back into the patch description that the resource should be FROZEN in to the patch text that is online

The FREEZING protects the resource as during the patching several services are brought OFFLINE, otherwise indeed VERITAS CLUSTER SERVICE HA will try to bring the services back online before the patch is finished

Sameer Jan's picture

I will forward the request for the same to be updated on the Installation Steps given the under the Patch documentation. i agree during the process of the upgrade in the Clustered Environment , nbu_server ressource shoud be offline (IP and disk still online) and freeze the nbu_group (prevent restart and fail-over).
I think the misunderstanding is caused because I skipped the bold text which is necessary to follow..

I completely agree . The only correct way to do it is as follows:

1) FREEZE the resource and leave it ONLINE on node #1
2) Patch the inactive node #3 and wait for it to finish
3) Patch the inactive node #2 and wait for it to finish
4) Patch the active node #1
5) UNFREEZE the resource
6) Test

Thank you and Regards

Fred2010's picture

Hi Sameer,

The US Symantec Engineer I spoke to during the repair (Travis Minor),  said it wasn't necessary to take anything offline...

He said there was no reason at all to even take the NBU_SERVER resource offline... We left everything online and went ahead with the patching...

/me confused now indecision

Would be good if a definitive answer on this matter would come from the guys who write the patch...