Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Installing SEP via Group Policy on Server 2008 R2 Core

Posted Nov 24, 2009 03:18 PM
    This isn't a question but rather a post about a problem we ran into and the quick solution we discovered.  We setup a new box running Server 2008 R2 Core on x64.  We push out SEP to all our servers via Group Policy but the install of SEP failed.  We were puzzled until we ran into another application (in this case VMware Tools) that did not install properly either.  We discovered that Server 2008 R2 Core does not have an "Installer" folder inside the Windows folder--this would usually be C:\Windows\Installer.  Upon creating the folder, VMware Tools installed fine and on a reboot, SEP installed just fine as well.

Also, we were pushing out RU5, as that is necessary for full support on Server 2008 R2.

I searched and didn't find this anywhere, so I figured I better post it so others don't scratch their head for too long.

• 2.  RE: Installing SEP via Group Policy on Server 2008 R2 Core

Posted Nov 24, 2009 03:34 PM
    That is a very good to know information , It would be good if would have posted the information in the blogs sections

• 3.  RE: Installing SEP via Group Policy on Server 2008 R2 Core

Posted Nov 24, 2009 05:53 PM
    I went ahead and posted it as a blog with a little bit of cleanup to it.  Sorry about double-posting it in Forums and Blogs, but you're right, it probably needed to be in the blogs.

• 4.  RE: Installing SEP via Group Policy on Server 2008 R2 Core

Posted Nov 25, 2009 10:05 AM
    Also, I made a typo, should be C:\Windows\Installer not Installers.  Edited the post and blog to be correct.