Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  installing small business edition 12.1 over existing 12.1 manager

Posted Nov 12, 2013 04:01 PM

Hey everyone, I have a small issue I was hoping someone could help me with.  I have an existing installation of endpoint protection manager with 10 licenses that is about to expire.  It was cheaper for me to go to the store and buy a 25 user small business boxed version, which is what I did.  Of course the existing version wont allow me to use the 25 user license.  The existing version is plain ole endpoint protection manager, while the new one is small business edition. If I try to use the new license, the existing installation says it is a different product even though they are both 12.1.  I don't know what extra features small business edition has.  I tried calling symantec and seeing if they would take the 25 user license and re-issue it so that it would work with my existing installation and the answer was to take it back to where I bought it and exchange it for the correct product.  I can't do that at this point (to long ago).  Is it as easy as just installing over the existing installation and everything will be fine, or am I going to have to completely uninstall the current version and then install the new one?  Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: installing small business edition 12.1 over existing 12.1 manager

Posted Nov 12, 2013 04:05 PM

Since you're going from Enterprise to SBE, you will need to do a complete uninstall of Enterprise and a fresh install of SBE. They're both different products.

A feature comaprison is here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/feature-comparison-between-sep-121-sbe-and-ee

• 3.  RE: installing small business edition 12.1 over existing 12.1 manager

Posted Nov 12, 2013 08:09 PM

thanks, I was hoping to avoid that, but i guess it is inevitable.  

• 4.  RE: installing small business edition 12.1 over existing 12.1 manager

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 13, 2013 09:53 AM

Hello,

Followers of this Thread may be also interested in checking this Article:

Difference between Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1, Symantec Endpoint Protection SBE 2013 and Symantec Protection Suite SBE

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/difference-between-symantec-endpoint-protection-121-symantec-endpoint-protection-sbe-2013-a

Hope that helps!!

• 5.  RE: installing small business edition 12.1 over existing 12.1 manager

Posted Nov 13, 2013 09:54 AM

Unfortunately, it is.