Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection on SQL server 2005 default instance

Posted Aug 26, 2009 12:08 PM
    Hi Everyone!

In the Installation Guide page 63 indicate the following: Instance Name: Do not use the default name. Create a name such as SEPM.

The problem is that i have a customer, that cannot create an additional instance name for administrative and cost reasons.

The only way that symantec recommend to install SEPM with SQL is on different instance that the default instance?. Please Confirm this answer with the reasons for this type of deployment.

Thanks Ind Advance,

Regards,

• 2.  RE: Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection on SQL server 2005 default instance

Posted Aug 26, 2009 12:46 PM
    You can try to use your existing database instance name & see if that work but I have always used it with a new instance name Check this document

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008032202241948

• 3.  RE: Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection on SQL server 2005 default instance

Posted Aug 26, 2009 01:14 PM

Best Practices guide for Installing the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager with a SQL Server 2005 Database

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008031504445748

An existing database must define file groups PRIMARY, FG_CONTENT, FG_LOGINFO, FG_RPTINFO, and FG_INDEX. The user account for database access must have privileges db_ddladmin, db_datareader, and db_datawriter. If these requirements are not met, your installation fails. So it is adviced to create a  new instance .
    A best practice is to define a new database.

• 4.  RE: Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection on SQL server 2005 default instance

Posted Aug 26, 2009 04:34 PM
    For closing this question, Symantec provides support to a SEPM installation on a SQL Server with default instance? note:this post will show at the customer

• 5.  RE: Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection on SQL server 2005 default instance
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 26, 2009 07:11 PM
    By default, a database named Sem5 is created in the SQL Server instance when you install the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. The default instance is unnamed. It is supported, but can cause confusion if you install multiple instances on one computer. pg 68, installation guide.

• 6.  RE: Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection on SQL server 2005 default instance

Posted Aug 26, 2009 08:57 PM
    Good to see that people are getting solution for themselfs.:)

• 7.  RE: Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection on SQL server 2005 default instance

Posted Nov 07, 2009 04:35 PM
    Dear List Members,

I have SEPM with SQL 2005 server install problem. I would like to establish some correlations in SSIM 4.6 between MS ISA server, SEPM and Windows event logs. In order to reach my goal I have to install SEPM with MS SQL 2005 server database. I have an MS Windows 2003 server (on a virtual machine) and an MS SQL 2005 server instance with client tools fortified with all features listed in Symantec install guide.I have already got SQL 2005 server install followed by the Symantec docs(SP3, suggested instance name =SEPM, SQL authentication mode is mixed, no case-sensitive SQL collocations, . . .)

During the SEPM with SQL 2005 database install procedure suddenly an error message turned up: semsvcres.dll could not be found.  None above of the mentioned error message said that the procedure went wrong. The install script was able to create the database, the data structure. I can confirm that the data structure in the database is correct as  far as I can know. I have tables and views, I can make queries on the database.

The message at the install procedure end said: the install procedure is succeeded, you can use your SEPM instance, . . . and so on.  Inspite of that I cannot log into the SEPM, I have failed to connect the server. The mentioned semsvcres.dll can be found on the machine at C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin\res\1033. I have no idea what could be the source of the problem and how to resolve  that.

Any fresh idea or suggestion would be warmly welcomed I have a strict deadline to solve the problem.