Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Migration User

Migration UserSep 09, 2011 11:58 AM

• 1.  Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted May 31, 2011 02:58 PM

I recently received a shipment of Dell Optiplex 790s and I've been in a bit of a jam trying to get an Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Card to play nicely with Deploy Anywhere when deploying Windows 7 x64 Enterprise. I've added the card to the driver database numerous times to no success including downloads from both Dell and Intel. The error message is as follows:

Details for: Evaluate Deploy Anywhere
    Required driver(s) missing from Driver Database.
    type = RETARGET_NETWORK_DEVICE
    PCI ID = PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_047E1028&REV_04
    Desc = @oem67.inf,%e1502nc.devicedesc%;Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

Driver download sources have been from Dell's Business Client Operating System Deployment site, the primary Dell's Support site using the computer's service tag, and Intel's support site. I've added numerous storage and network drivers in the past using the same procedure but have never had an issue like this. Any thoughts or prior experience that can be shared concerning such an issue would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Jun 01, 2011 02:54 AM

As you have missed out vital information in your posting, can we establish which version of Ghost you are using, and confirm that you are talking about finding the correct drivers to include in WinPE.

Also, if you are indeed trying to add drivers to WinPE, are you using VISTA 32 bit drivers?  WinPE V2 as used in GSS needs VISTA drivers irrespective of what operating system you are trying to image.

• 3.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Jun 01, 2011 08:46 AM

Sorry, let me add some information.

Ghost Solution Suite Version: 2.5.1
    Symantec Ghost Console Version: 11.5.1.2266

WinPE 2.0 drivers included are all Vista 32-bit and WinPE is functioning as it should.

The problem occurs at the Deploy Anywhere phase.

• 4.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Jun 01, 2011 10:39 AM

DeployAnywhere fails with Tecra R850 / Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller

Here is the catch..... and this was defect in GSS and it is fixed in build 2605...

Background : The reported driver inf file contains Include and Need section. These two section is used to refer install section from other system supplied driver (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff552302.aspx). However when Deploy Anywhere runs, os\windows\inf(system supplied inf folder) is not available. So DA fails in parsing the inf file. To solve this issue, DA will not parse the Need and Include section from inf file for /eval switch. Currently DA fails the operation for such type for drivers. Now DA will not fail operation if it can not find included files in Inf file.

---I don't know if the chipset you have is the one referenced, but it may be the cause of your problem and in that case you need to contact support as per the sticky listing at the top of this forum.

• 5.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Jul 25, 2011 05:01 AM

Same issue with Intel 82579LM and Dell Optiplex 790.

Myc onfiguration :

Ghost Solution Suite Version: 2.5.1
    Symantec Ghost Console Version: 11.5.1.2266

How i can upgrade to build 2605 ?

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Jul 25, 2011 06:21 AM

You can follow the instruction on the top of the forum to avail the GSS patches.

• 7.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Jul 25, 2011 11:54 AM

Hi ,

Since you are using Deploy anywhere, make sure you have added the NIC drivers for Win 7 64 under boot wizard .

• 8.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 07, 2011 05:08 PM

Im experiencing the same issue with an Intel 82579LM network card.

Live update tells me this.

All of the Symantec products installed on your computer are currently up-to-date. Remember to check for new updates frequently.
    LiveUpdate session is complete.

I downloaded the driver packeage from Intel and HP but both extract and want to install, not just extract so i can add them the my ghost boot wizard.
    I used the /e and -e switch from "expand" but that didnt help.

Still looking for drivers

• 9.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 07, 2011 05:39 PM

Well i think i got it.

I extracted the ProWin32.exe from a command box like this

C:\PROWin32.exe /f c:\Intel /e

Then installed the drivers from

C:\Intel\PRO1000\Win32\NDIS62

which has the e1c6232.inf file

How come right after i post i figure it out?

• 10.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 08, 2011 01:41 AM

It always happens with almost everyone because thinking process has already been started in the back of your mind :-). Nice to hear that your problem has resolved.

• 11.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 08, 2011 05:02 AM

You have the ability to edit your own postings if you need to - just in case you want to spare yourself any embarrassment....;-)

• 12.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 08, 2011 11:00 AM

I spoke to soon. Too excited.

It still doesnt work.

I tried all the 6232 drivers and 6032 drivers for Vista and XP.

Still cant get the network card working with my ghost boot or WDS.

Back to the proverbial drawing board

• 13.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 08, 2011 11:50 AM

I even tried the ixe5132, 6032 and 6232 driver.

All failed.

Dont know what else to try

• 14.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 08, 2011 11:53 AM

a trick i use is just disable the network card in your bios, then run deployanywhere, it will complete, you'll be able to boot then you can re enable the nic and install the driver in windows.

• 15.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 08, 2011 12:10 PM

I can get it to boot off the ghost disk just fine but there is no network available.

I'm adding the same drivers to my boot.wim file for WDS and that no worky either.

I dont use DA. Should i be?

I use ghostcast to image 15 at a time

Using WDS to deploy base images to my new machines

• 16.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 08, 2011 01:39 PM

This thread was posted today with driver files you can download and try:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vista-drivers-winpe

• 17.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 08, 2011 02:06 PM

I previously added the e1c6032 drivers and that didnt work for ghost boot or wds

Going to keep trying till i find the correct one even if it kills me!

• 18.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 08, 2011 04:22 PM

Well i asked on the intel forums.

Lets see what those guys can come up with

• 19.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 08, 2011 06:56 PM

Just bear in mind that you can load drivers dynamically from the WinPE command line which is a quick and simple way of checking if the drivers work.

The syntax is DRVLOAD <path and filename to driver INF file>   The CAT SYS and INF files plus any other support files (eg DLL files) should be in the same folder.

• 20.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 09, 2011 11:51 AM

I loaded the e1c6032.inf according to the instructions above and it worked like a charm.

So why is it not loading like its supposed to?

I'll try ading that driver individually to my ghost boot Win-PE image and see how that goes

• 21.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 09, 2011 11:58 AM

Now if i could only get it working for WDS.

• 22.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 09, 2011 02:00 PM

Well i already had the e1c6032 drivers installed seperately.

I remade my boot flash drive and now it works.

Go figure

• 23.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 10, 2011 05:43 AM

When you add a driver using the Ghost boot wizard, you also need to select it before you rebuild the boot image. If you don't select it, the drivers don't get included. It is also worth reviewing existing selected drivers to avoid any older versions of the same driver being included by selection.

Anyway, glad you have it working now.

• 24.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 12, 2011 12:56 AM

Whenever boot image doesn't work even after adding the drivers, you need to refresh it from the GBW.

Nice to hear that it is working now.

• 25.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 13, 2011 01:18 PM

After adding new drivers to the WinPE image i always check them and remake my ghost flash drive.

Dont know why it didnt work in the first place.

Still cant get the network card working with my WDS boot.wim.

• 26.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 14, 2011 05:06 AM

It is quite straightforward to edit WIM files. My article at https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/readyadventures-winpe gives you a starting point to getting your own WinPE environment and boot media created, and includes information on how to edit WIM files. The downloaded WAIK also has comprehensive documentation on how to add drivers to WIM files, either dynamically or statically.

• 27.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

• 28.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 28, 2011 07:49 AM

By now I am completely dissapointed by Symantec's Update-policy (through individual Service-Calls although many issues are related to hardware or situations which are widely used): --> I am going to make this situation as public as I can !
    - Win7 SP1 not officially supported
    - new Intel Pro 1000 cards not supported
    - general problems with DeployAnywhere
    - problems with changing IP adresses
    - not even driver-updates through "LiveUpdate"
    - as you can see in the support-forums, many many users struggle with problems which should be solved by now!
    We just bought new licenses and I was buffled by the fact, that i could only download version 2.5.1-2266 (dated 2/2010!!!),
    not even ..2269, which apparently solved some problems; current version seems to be ..2605!!!
    And of course we paid service-contracts for many years now.

We are struggling with drivers and DeployAnywhere, so please send me the latest GSS-patch available

regards,  Gerhard

• 29.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Sep 28, 2011 09:14 AM

Were you a regular reader of these forums, you would know that the Ghost developer team were laid off a couple of years ago and development of GSS 3.0 was stopped. Even before that, the level of funding provided to the development team precluded many enhancements to the product.  So there is no ongoing product development and only very limited bug fixing from the team in India, who also have a very restricted budget. Patches are available to those who are experiencing specific problems and who have a maintenance agreement. These patches are strictly aimed at specific bugs that affect some users so are not going to address any driver version issues. There are three patches - 2269, 2298 and 2605 and you can find out the specific issues they address by searching on those numbers in this forum.  As you have service contracts - call up support on the number given in the sticky posting at the top of this forum and discuss whether any of the patches are relevant to the issues you are experiencing.

Trust me - you are not making anything more public than it already is.

HOWEVER.  Windows 7 is supported so although Win 7 SP1 may not be officially supported, I see no reason why it should not work as the servicepack is not changing the basic functionality or design of the operating system. If you have SPECIFIC issues, please share them with us.

New Intel Pro 1000 cards - when you say they are not supported, have you tried adding the Vista 32 bit drivers to Ghost Boot Wizard?  Users do indeed have problems with new NIC hardware, but since the underlying operating system using these drivers is MICROSOFT's WinPE, the problems usually turn out to be in finding the correct driver downloads. New NIC chipsets are being released all the time so sourcing and adding new drivers is not an unusual requirement.  Basically, if you can install Vista on the new hardware and get it working, then there is no reason why WinPE should not work just as well.

General problems with Deploy Anywhere - what sort of problems are you seeing?  As with WinPE, Deploy Anywhere also needs the relevant drivers to be present, albeit this time appropriate for the target operating system.  Once again, the provisioning of drivers follows Microsoft procedures - If you look at past postings by Nigel Bree you will find detailed explanations of how it all works (Nigel is a former Ghost developer).

Problems with changing IP addresses - can you clariffy what problems you are seeing?  I recall no threads in recent times which suggest any issues with IP addressing - assuming the NIC driver is correct and is not defaulting to 127.0.0.1 as it cannot contact the DHCP server.

Driver updates through LiveUpdate - you will not see anything new on LiveUpdate as mentioned earlier, as there is no ongoing development.

Also, you will not be sent anything by posting here, as this is a user forum and only tech support can supply you with patches. If you have support agreements, then you can get them from support.

• 30.  RE: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network and Deploy Anywhere

Posted Oct 12, 2011 01:20 PM

To provide drivers through Live Update is not a feasible option.For Symantec to do this,an agreement should be made with product manufacturers.Customer is entitled to download the drivers and since its an Enterprise product,getting the right drivers should not be a big headache once finding the best practices first up.