Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Intel ICH10D/10 problem, XP SP3, HP DC7900 not restarting to start capture or dump image

• 1.  Intel ICH10D/10 problem, XP SP3, HP DC7900 not restarting to start capture or dump image

Posted Aug 13, 2009 01:12 PM
    Let me start just by saying that I have read the problem people are having with this model(WinPE needs intel 85267 NIC driver and the SATA Intel ICH10D/10 driver) and I have adressed this issues.

The problem we are seeing occurs before the machines restarts into WinPE. The machines were are working with are HP DC7900s with windows XP SP3. When we start the capture and push tasks everything seems to be working fine, the console starts to push the virtual partition to the client but it almost seems that the process to set the harddrive to boot to it(the WinPE virtual Partition) never finishes and the computer hangs there and never restarts.

After this happens we cannot open Computer management in Windows and if we try it will lock up. We force the computer to restart and XP comes up fine but if go look in the Windows Event Viewer there is this iostor error:

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

So to me it seems like the ghost client cannot write on to the SATA harddrive and tell it to boot to the virtual partition, therefor it hangs the process, the computer never restarts and we can't ghost. Another thing to mention is that if we turn the IDE mode on in the BIOS everything works wonderfully.

Anyone have any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Intel ICH10D/10 problem, XP SP3, HP DC7900 not restarting to start capture or dump image

Posted Aug 14, 2009 09:20 AM
    Are you able to boot WinPE on these HP machines and see the hard disks?  Are the disks in any sort of raid configuration?

From the description, it looks like the WinPE environment is not loading the Intel SATA drivers - how did you actually address this issue?

• 3.  RE: Intel ICH10D/10 problem, XP SP3, HP DC7900 not restarting to start capture or dump image

Posted Aug 14, 2009 12:47 PM
    If we boot from a WnPE boot CD then yes the PC sees the harddrive and everything works fine. It's just one harddrive, no raid array.

The problem is that when using the ghost console to capture or push an image, the client computer does not restart and it hangs even before it restarts to boot to WinPE.

In the current OS we get the error

"The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."

before the computer even tries to boot to winPE. Its an a error in the CURRENT SYSTEM and not on the WinPE virtual partition.

• 4.  RE: Intel ICH10D/10 problem, XP SP3, HP DC7900 not restarting to start capture or dump image

Posted Aug 17, 2009 01:29 AM
    Using WinXP SP3 on HP DC7900. This is extremely frustrating, and the only "workaround" is to change AHCI to IDE mode. With 100+ machines to ghost, having to manually change in BIOS in each one takes time, time I don't have ..and  here I thought Ghost should make my job easier, not harder :(

• 5.  RE: Intel ICH10D/10 problem, XP SP3, HP DC7900 not restarting to start capture or dump image

Posted Aug 17, 2009 03:36 AM
    Did you try out new storage/chipset drivers and bind them to the WinPE Image via GBW?

Greetings

Alexander Emmer

• 6.  RE: Intel ICH10D/10 problem, XP SP3, HP DC7900 not restarting to start capture or dump image

Posted Aug 17, 2009 08:19 AM
    I used the latest Intel matrix drivers (v.8.9.0.1023).

• 7.  RE: Intel ICH10D/10 problem, XP SP3, HP DC7900 not restarting to start capture or dump image

Posted Aug 17, 2009 10:07 AM
    xp or vista version? if xp, bind vista driver.

Greetings

Alexander Emmer

• 8.  RE: Intel ICH10D/10 problem, XP SP3, HP DC7900 not restarting to start capture or dump image

Posted Aug 17, 2009 05:41 PM
    Well, the driver supports both XP and Vista, there is not a separate download for either. And the driver do work in both OSs, as I have a testmachine with Vista running using this driver. But the problem is, as the OP describes, that the machine sortof hangs while still in XP, I guess it's when the ghost service process tries to add the ghost-boot in the mbr things go wrong. And said IaStor0 timeout msg in event viewer.

Anyway, I had to bite the bullet and change AHCI to IDE. I'm not happy about it, it took extra time I really didn't have, and it doesn't solve the problem. Seems like AHCI-mode still is a bit of rocketscience. It was a similar experience when we bought Dell Optiplex 755, we had to change to IDE because there was problems getting it to work with AHCI.

One can always hope GSS 3 will work better .. but at that point we're probably running Vista, so that might be a moot point. Thanks for the tips anyway.

• 9.  RE: Intel ICH10D/10 problem, XP SP3, HP DC7900 not restarting to start capture or dump image

Posted Aug 17, 2009 05:48 PM
    http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/latest-intel-matrix-storage-manager-v8901012-causes-ghost3264-bit-versions-hang-vista-os

Same cause as for XP? When I got the time I'll test with an earlier version.

• 10.  RE: Intel ICH10D/10 problem, XP SP3, HP DC7900 not restarting to start capture or dump image

Posted Aug 18, 2009 06:30 AM
    I guessed this too. Thanks for the article, which confirms that. In my opinion, I do not see such big difference to IDE or AHCI. Do you use the advantages of AHCI?

Greetings

Alexander Emmer

• 11.  RE: Intel ICH10D/10 problem, XP SP3, HP DC7900 not restarting to start capture or dump image

Posted Aug 18, 2009 09:17 AM
    Thanks for the help guys.

PetterOsterlunds link discribes our problem as well, and we are using XP. It appears that the Intel Matrix v.8.9.0.1023 driver breaks the ghosting process. We've used v.8.8.something that you can get http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download.aspx?url=/17413/eng/f6flpy3288.zip&DwnldId=17413&ProductID=2101&lang=eng

and it works like it's supposed to.

We've also noticed that the drivers we downloaded a few days ago(and did NOT work) from HPs website are different from what they have up right now. I don't know if they've fixed the issue or not.
    This has been a pain in the buttox, glad we got it resolved.

• 12.  RE: Intel ICH10D/10 problem, XP SP3, HP DC7900 not restarting to start capture or dump image

Posted Aug 19, 2009 04:30 PM
    This is frustrating.

So we've built a computer from scratch with XP SP3, Intel Matrix v.8.8 drivers. We've captured the image several times while trying to figure out this issue. So here we thought we finally had got it working and we finish building the computer with office 07, java, acrobat reader, flash and all windows updates.

We start a capture of what will be our base image and bam! we get stuck on a black DOS screen in WinPE. I believe it's a wrong NIC driver(I have several Intel Pro 1000 in WinPE) but why in the world does it work one minute and after loading that software it stops working?

It will work from a boot CD but not from the network ghost console mode. They are the exact same WinPE image with same drivers. How can software break it?

Edit: Well, reload the 8.8 drivers for the SATA drive in the WinPE image and now its working.