Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Internal Error 36000: An internal inconsistency has been detected

Posted Jul 06, 2011 09:01 AM
    I created Ghost Images of a 150GB internal HDD (Desktop PC) using Ghost32.exe. Ghost version is 11_5 (GSS2.5). Using Windows PE as the boot environment. The hard disk is formatted in NTFS. When I created an image, I used the following command. Then, three images were created. "ghost32.exe -split=4000" (and Active Switches : Spanning / AutoName) I burned each image to DVD-R. (Detail) Disk 1 : about 4GB mst.gho Disk 2 : about 4GB mst00001.ghs Disk 3 : about 500MB mst00002.ghs When I restoring other same model PC with these disks, the following error occurred. ----------------------------------------------------------- Title : Internal Error 36000 Description : An internal inconsistency has been detected. ----------------------------------------------------------- The restore goes to 95% and quits. But, there is the case which sometimes succeeds. It is always the same point in the timing when this error occurs. It is time using the second disk(mst00001.ghs). When I restoring, I used the following command. "ghost32.exe -clone,mode=restore,src=d:\mst.gho,dst=1 -sure -szee" * [d:] is optical drive label. The header of the GHOSTERR.txt file follows: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ********************************* Date : Fri Jun 30 13:52:51 2011 Error Number: (36000) Message: A GeneralException occurred Version: 11.5.0.2113 (Apr 22 2008, Build=2113) OS Version: Professional (Build 6000) Command line arguments: -clone,mode=restore,src=d:\mst.gho,dst=1 -szee -sure Active Switches : AutoName PathName : 65 A0003940.exe DumpFile : d:\mst00002.GHS DumpPos : 8388555832 Last LFO Buffersize : 0 Last LFO Path : Full Path : d:\mst00002.GHS Drive Letter : d:\ Last LFO Filesystem : Native Last LFO Error : Win32 error: (0x00000002) The system cannot find the file specified. Last LFO Error Path : Full Path : d:\mst00002.ghs Drive Letter : d:\ FlagImplode : 0 FlagExplode : 3 CloneSrc : d:\mst.gho BatchPartSrc : 0 BatchPartMSrc : CloneDst : 1 BatchPartDst : 0 Operation Details : Total size.........12672 MB copied..........12134 MB remaining.......538 Percent complete...95% Speed..............568 MB/min Time elapsed.......22:06 Time remaining.....0:56 Processor exception Generated at ..\HardExceptionHandlerWin32.cpp:307 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I inspected, and the following things became clear. 1. A hard disk and DVD disk do not have the problem. I checked by a diagnosis utility. 2. When I attach "-ntc-" switch, this error does not occur. Reference page: How to troubleshoot the error: "Internal error 36000 . . . " [Method 2] http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH106950&actp=search&viewlocale=ja_JP&searchid=1309223853076 I think, because in error when using the Disc 2, dumpfile should be "d:\mst00001.GHS". I do not understand why it is "d:\mst00002.GHS". I have a question. 1. What will be this problem? 2. Why is this problem settled when I use "-ntc-" switch ? 3. I do not want to use "-ntc-" switch if possible. Is there the method to do to solve a problem elsewhere? Thanks in advance for your help.

• 2.  RE: Internal Error 36000: An internal inconsistency has been detected

Posted Jul 06, 2011 10:53 AM

The log identifies your version of GSS as 11.5.0.2113. The current version available from LiveUpdate is 11.5.1.2266.

Before you go any further, I would recommend updating to the latest version.

Also, did you defragment the source drive before creating an image? The document found at this location:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH106618&key=52020&actp=LIST

indicates that the -ntc- switch gets around problems caused by complex fragmentation.

• 3.  RE: Internal Error 36000: An internal inconsistency has been detected

Posted Jul 07, 2011 03:03 AM
    Thank you for your quick reply. I carried out Defrag using Windows Defrag Tools. (Windows OS said "You do not need to defragment this volume".) (Before) Total fragmentation = 1 % File fragmentation = 2 % Total fragmented files = 73 (After) Total fragmentation = 0 % File fragmentation = 0 % Total fragmented files = 0 In the same way as the past, I created Ghost images using "-split=4000" and burned it to DVD-R. (Only "mst.GHO" image was created this time.) And, I restored successful! (I did restore three times.) Thank you very much for your advice. I have a question. 1. By the way, Is this phenomenon a Ghost's bug? Or, when I created a Ghost image, should I carry out Defrag?(= Not Ghost's bug) 2. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH106614 "Earlier versions of Ghost have a problem replicating the fragmentation that is inherent in NTFS partitions. " I using Ghost version 11_5. I think, as for this Ghost, this problem is solved. Why did not "internal error 36000" error occur by Defrag? 3. Why does the recovery sometimes succeed without Defrag? By chance? Thank you.

• 4.  RE: Internal Error 36000: An internal inconsistency has been detected
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 07, 2011 04:02 AM

I'm sorry but I am not a developer of Ghost and therefore cannot answer your questions about how this all works.

I have always run defrag before imaging, after clearing temp folders and removing any restore points, etc, and never have any problems. 

All I can really suggest is that you source the latest version and adopt a process which defrags your machine before imaging and also do some testing to make sure the problem does not recur.  I personally have no trust in optical media as so many examples I have seen have visible surface defects in the media coating, and although they may verify OK immediately after burning, will fail later. So always keep a copy of your source images on a hard disk.

• 5.  RE: Internal Error 36000: An internal inconsistency has been detected

Posted Jul 07, 2011 11:43 PM
    Oh, I'm sorry. Of course, I understand that you are not a developer. In creating a Ghost image, your opinion is useful. I thought lightly that the fragmentation of this level did not have to consider it. In future, I will create image while considering a careful thing. Defag, Optical media check, HDD check disk etc. I suppose that the following problems are caused by fragmentation. Maybe. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I think, because in error when using the Disc 2, dumpfile should be "d:\mst00001.GHS". I do not understand why it is "d:\mst00002.GHS". --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I learned that even fragmentation only for a little affected the image. Thank you very much for your help.