Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Issue Excluding SpamSentinal Engine Folders and Files with 12.1.4 EndPoint Protection

Migration User

Migration UserFeb 15, 2014 11:09 PM

• 1.  Issue Excluding SpamSentinal Engine Folders and Files with 12.1.4 EndPoint Protection

Posted Jan 27, 2014 10:51 PM

Hello,

Ever since we've upgraded our Symantec Endpoint Protection version from 12.1.2 to 12.1.4, we've been having issues with it automatically quarantining most of the files under the spam sentinal engine folders. This is happening each day with a reboot requirement. There has to be a way to resolve this issue. We've tried excluding the folders and individual files with no success. This is a critical domino server that cannot be rebooted every day since we run production about 6 days a week. Are there any gurus out there that can help us? Thanks

• 2.  RE: Issue Excluding SpamSentinal Engine Folders and Files with 12.1.4 EndPoint Protection

Posted Jan 27, 2014 11:06 PM

Please check excludes setting

Creating Centralized Exceptions Policies in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1

Article:TECH183201  |  Created: 2012-03-07  |  Updated: 2012-09-13  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH183201

Creating exceptions for Symantec Endpoint Protection

Article:HOWTO80919  |  Created: 2012-10-24  |  Updated: 2013-06-06  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO80919

About the files and folders that Symantec Endpoint Protection excludes from virus and spyware scans

Article:HOWTO80947  |  Created: 2012-10-24  |  Updated: 2013-06-06  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO80947

• 3.  RE: Issue Excluding SpamSentinal Engine Folders and Files with 12.1.4 EndPoint Protection

Posted Jan 29, 2014 02:08 PM

How are you adding the exclusion? Via the SEPM or the client GUI?

Also, do you have the email scanning plugin enabled? Have you tried disabling this?

• 4.  RE: Issue Excluding SpamSentinal Engine Folders and Files with 12.1.4 EndPoint Protection

Posted Feb 03, 2014 08:02 AM

Hi Brian,

We've tried excluding down to the folder and individual files, but this did not help. Yes. We have our email scanning plugin disabled as well. I recently removed the NTP components, and tried removing all of the PTP, but having issues removing the SONAR portion due to fatal error when trying to rollback the install. Any Idea's?

• 5.  RE: Issue Excluding SpamSentinal Engine Folders and Files with 12.1.4 EndPoint Protection

Posted Feb 03, 2014 08:06 AM

Hi James,

Just to update you on the suggestion you gave me. I was able to successfully remove the NTP install on our Domino server, but having issues removing all of the PTP. I'm down to the SONAR portion, but keep getting a fata error during the install roll back process. Do you have any ideas for a work around? We are still having the scan issue with the spam engine files. I'm wondering if the issue is with the SONAR install that I can't remove.

• 6.  RE: Issue Excluding SpamSentinal Engine Folders and Files with 12.1.4 EndPoint Protection

Posted Feb 03, 2014 08:44 AM

Do you have try to uninstall SEP client ?

Try to Remove/Disable PTP feature in Add or Remove Programs.

• 7.  RE: Issue Excluding SpamSentinal Engine Folders and Files with 12.1.4 EndPoint Protection

Posted Feb 03, 2014 08:53 AM

You could also remove SEP and just re-install with AV only. Can you share a screenshot of the exception?

• 8.  RE: Issue Excluding SpamSentinal Engine Folders and Files with 12.1.4 EndPoint Protection

Posted Feb 03, 2014 08:58 AM

Hi James,

I tried removing each PTP component one at a time. I was able to remove the second component, just not the Sonar component. It's like something has a hold on it.

I currently have the PTP disabled, but have not tried uninstalling the SEP client all together. I can try that, but will have to plain this with our Domino admin since we are now back in Production.

• 9.  RE: Issue Excluding SpamSentinal Engine Folders and Files with 12.1.4 EndPoint Protection

Posted Feb 03, 2014 09:01 AM

I would just go with a full uninstall, and reinstall with only AV.

• 10.  RE: Issue Excluding SpamSentinal Engine Folders and Files with 12.1.4 EndPoint Protection

Posted Feb 03, 2014 09:02 AM

Hi Brian,

I've since then close the error out and will need to plan to duplicate the error for you. I currently have the PTP disabled, but have not tried uninstalling the SEP client all together. I can try that, but will have to plain this with our Domino admin since we are now back in Production. Thanks

• 11.  RE: Issue Excluding SpamSentinal Engine Folders and Files with 12.1.4 EndPoint Protection

Posted Feb 03, 2014 09:11 AM

Sounds good, just curious to know if this from the AV component or possibly something else.

Here's a goodlink for future reading:

Best Practices for Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) on Windows Servers

• 12.  RE: Issue Excluding SpamSentinal Engine Folders and Files with 12.1.4 EndPoint Protection

Posted Feb 15, 2014 11:09 PM

Did you need more help here ?

• 13.  RE: Issue Excluding SpamSentinal Engine Folders and Files with 12.1.4 EndPoint Protection

Posted Feb 25, 2014 11:47 AM

Do you need more assistance with your problem or were you able to get it resolved?

If you could post an update for followers of this thread that would be most helpful.

Otherwise, if resolved, you can close the thread out by clicking the "Mark as solution" link at the bottom left on the most helpful post. If multiple posts helped to solve your problem, please click the "Request split solution" link at the bottom left, select the most helpful posts and click the "Submit" button. This will benefit admins looking for a resolution to the same problem.

Thanks and take care,
    Brian