Deployment Solution

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Issue imaging HP Probook 6560b

• 1.  Issue imaging HP Probook 6560b

Posted Jun 14, 2011 08:54 AM

Have recently taken in a new standard model HP laptop for testing , the Probook 6560b, which has a Sandy Bridge CPU. Now the previous iteration the 6550b images no problem via altiris 6.9 SP3 and PXE boot. It however is not using the Sandy Bridge CPU

I am experiencing difficulties with the newer 6560b model. When network booting and selecting my PXE boot configuration that works for all our other machines, the process goes through the process of getting an IP and mapping F: etc to the correct location, i can list the directory contents and can see RDEPLOY. However trying to execute RDEPLOY does nothing, it simply hangs indefinitely.

Trying to image via the Deployment Console and again the process seems to go correctly till it hangs with "The Deployment Server Has Instructed BootWork to wait"

The only differences i can see are the differing CPU and they have diferent NIC's but as its mapping and viewing directories i assume thats not the issue.

Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Derek

• 2.  RE: Issue imaging HP Probook 6560b

Posted Jun 14, 2011 09:46 AM

It almost sounds as if it is using the wrong version of RDeploy, meaning that it is using the 32 Bit version on a 64 Bit system (or vice versa).  Can you try making a script and pointing it directly to the RDeploy that you need to use with that version of PE?

• 3.  RE: Issue imaging HP Probook 6560b

Posted Jun 15, 2011 05:04 AM

Thanks for the response, ive tried manually imaging the machine by booting to network via PXE, browsing to Rdeploy and executing but it simply hangs so i know its using the same Rdeploy.exe as all our other working machines.

As a test i created a bootable disc using an .exe made from the .img file, this executes as far as the RapiDeploy 6.9 restore screen but hangs rather than go through the restore and then fails evenually with

Error
    Memory allocation failed

Any idea?

• 4.  RE: Issue imaging HP Probook 6560b

Posted Jun 15, 2011 09:20 AM

Someone hasn't modified your image using ImageExplorer, have they?  We've seen the "Memory allocation failed" error occur when someone has attempted to remove or add files from the image or "exclude" files.  You might try a fresh image to test the theory.  This old thread talks about it a little bit.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/memory-allocation-failed

• 5.  RE: Issue imaging HP Probook 6560b

Posted Jun 15, 2011 10:18 AM

Hi i had seen that issue mentioned, but as i cant even get Rdeploy to launch to even start the imaging process, i was assuming it was an issue with Rdeploy.exe.

I'll try a fresh image via the bootable disc and see if that rules it out.

• 6.  RE: Issue imaging HP Probook 6560b

Posted Jun 16, 2011 03:29 AM

Deploying the same image onto similar specced machine works correctly, attempting to deploy a fresh image again fails on the Sandy Bridge laptop.

• 7.  RE: Issue imaging HP Probook 6560b

Posted Jun 16, 2011 08:23 AM

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it or not, but at the beginning of the year there was an announcement from Intel that they were recalling that chipset line.  Your specific processor may or may not be affected by this.  Another thing you might try is to find out if you have the latest BIOS, if not upgrade.  If you do, you might check to see if there is an older revision of the BIOS and try downgrading.  There are times that BIOS versions can affect how Altiris works or doesn't work.

• 8.  RE: Issue imaging HP Probook 6560b

Posted Jun 16, 2011 08:59 AM

We are able to use Rdeploy on the HP 6360b which has the same chipset as the 6560 I believe. We are having major issues with the NIC with Deploy Anywhere Driver database.

I am using 6.9 sp3 and sp4 in the test lab Rdeploy is working with both.

• 9.  RE: Issue imaging HP Probook 6560b

Posted Jun 16, 2011 01:12 PM

I gather this is with DOS automation, right? have you tried Linux or WinPE preboots?

• 10.  RE: Issue imaging HP Probook 6560b

Posted Jun 16, 2011 02:47 PM

This is with Win PE automation.

• 11.  RE: Issue imaging HP Probook 6560b

Posted Jun 17, 2011 03:32 AM

Ive logged a support call with Altiris and they have suggested that my PXE boot may be missing a Mass Storage driver. Will report back once ive given it a try.

• 12.  RE: Issue imaging HP Probook 6560b

Posted Jun 20, 2011 08:44 AM

Hey Derek

I would think that would not be the correct solution. We have a mix of SP4 and SP2 DS servers and the 6360b works on all of them through PXE. The only issues we are experiencing is the AHCI and NIC driver injection in Deploy Anywhere.