I like the idea of how the product is supposed to work but everytime I try and use it I have a different issue (which never recurs).
I've got it set up on two office PCs for now (I don't want to run a beta product on my customers PCs).
The first time it connected fine (speed was very slow until I adjusted it for best performance), but I quickly found out that the keyboard on the remote PC was not mapping correctly to the keys (identical keyboards, two Dell machines). I disconnected and much to my dismay found that the keyboard on the hosting PC was now mapping incorrectly as well (the ESC key acted like I was hitting tab, most letters on the keyboard didn't respond, arrow keys were useless, when you clicked the mouse it acted like it was setup for a left handed person - double clicking didn't work at all, etc). I had to reboot the host machine to get it back to normal.
Second time I tried, it showed that it was starting to connect , then it opened the session again, and again, and again to the same machine..eventually my screen was full of remote sessions, none of them actually connected though - all I got was the remote toolbar with a black screen (the host machine didn't show the message indicating the connection). I had to CTRL-ALT-DEL to stop it from initiating anymore sessions.
The third time I connected everything was fine. I left it running while I was on the phone and noticed that the session timed-out after 7 minutes (even though it was set to not timeout until after 30 minutes of inactivity). So I finished my phonecall and tried unsuccesfully to reconnect. Then I clicked on the option to disconnect (even though the host machine was back to normal, the remote PC still showed the desktop of the Host..you just couldn't actually do anything). When I tried to disconnect it gave me the confirmation window to disconnect, I clicked yes/okay and nothing happened. I finally had to kill the session by killing the process in windows task manager. After I ended it this way I noticed my remote PC was running slow, so I rebooted and now things are back to normal.
So thus far I'm a little worried about the product even though my company has used PCAnywhere for over a decade and we're still hoping this gives us our new solution. I'm going to try and find some other brave souls in the office and see what happens when I connect to them.