Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Issues with Exchange 2010 following upgrade of SMG to 10.6.0-7

Posted Jan 29, 2016 09:42 AM

Has anyone else come across any issues after they've upgraded their Symantec Messaging Gateway (SMG) from 10.5.4-4 to 10.6.0-7?

I did the update this morning and since then I've started seeing a number of "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" items in the Exchange 2010 Queue Viewer. Each item has the following error message when you open the Properties:

Last Error: 400 4.4.7 The server responded with: 550 5.6.2 SMTPSEND.BareLinefeedsAreIllegal; message contains bare linefeeds, which cannot be sent via DATA. The failure was replaced by a retry response because the message was marked for retry if rejected.

Each instance appears to also correspond with an 8010 Event in the Exchange server's Application Log:

A message with the Internal Message ID *number* was rejected by the remote server.  This message will be deferred and retried because it was marked for retry if rejected.  Other messages may also have encountered this error.

I can confirm that we had no 8010 errors in the Application event log before today and it would appear that these undelivered emails actually clog up the email flow, unless they are either suspended or removed (with or without an NDR)

Oddly enough it only appears to effect emails that are being Journaled and even then it's only some Journaled emails and not all of them.

At this point I haven't been able to find any log entries on the SMG server, but I'm also aware that I might not be looking in the correct place.

Before performing the update, I checked for known issues and this certainly wasn't listed.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers

John

• 2.  RE: Issues with Exchange 2010 following upgrade of SMG to 10.6.0-7

Posted Jan 30, 2016 01:16 AM
    John, I havent seen such ndrs personaly. smg probably is now checken on lf only. According to smtp RFC they must not be used. Try to find the causing client, app, rufe, etc. Eg are they forwarded by rule or archived Mails. Perhaps auch hint too: BareLinefeedRejectionEnabled:$true Thomas

• 3.  RE: Issues with Exchange 2010 following upgrade of SMG to 10.6.0-7

Posted Mar 24, 2016 12:48 PM

I've just run into this myself! How did you stop this from happening?

• 4.  RE: Issues with Exchange 2010 following upgrade of SMG to 10.6.0-7

Posted Mar 26, 2016 01:59 AM
    Hi, Later to my posting we had the issue too. Did some testing and proved a non RFC compliant answer by smg. It occurs whenever a ndr is sent back to a user. Cause: right after the error Nr and description text smg only adds a cr. But the linefeed is missing. Therefore exchange is right, in this case ;). Possibilities: 1. Open a case, with in a dialin symantec has a solution. We as "users" cant change the template. 2. On exhange set BareLinefeedRejectionEnabled:$true to false in the receive connector Thomas