Endpoint Protection

View Only

Issues with Norton Antivirus Version 15.0.0.58, cygwin, gnuplot on Windows Vista

• 1.  Issues with Norton Antivirus Version 15.0.0.58, cygwin, gnuplot on Windows Vista

Posted May 11, 2008 10:20 PM
    I am running Norton Antivirus (version 15.0.0.58) on Windows Vista. On the same PC, I have installed Cygwin with the X-server and gnuplot.

If I run gnuplot and attempt to plot something (e.g., sin(x)), I get the following error message:

22 [main] gnuplot 4468 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed, 0x35C000..0x35C040, done 0, windows pid 4620, Win32 error 487

If I disable all of the Norton features (auto protect off, internet worm protection, spyware protection, outgoing email scan, incomming email scan), gnuplot will usually work correctly.

After searching around the internet, I found this blog (http://splogs.livejournal.com/tag/cygwin) that discusses how some applications load a dll into every process, which causes this problem.

Is this true? If so, will Symantec fix the issue? I didn't have this problem when I was running Windows XP with NAV and Cygwin.