Video Screencast Help

IT Analytics Reports - Request Timed Out

Created: 04 Jun 2013 • Updated: 20 Sep 2013 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I'm running SMP 7.1 SP2 MP1.1 where some of my IT Analytics reports (e.g. IT Analytics - Add Remove Programs Search) time out with the error, below.  I found http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH158321 which is the exact error I'm getting although was applicable to IT Analytics 7.0 SP1.  Also, Internet searches indicate increasing asp.net execution timeout may not help for IIS7 on Windows 2008 R2.  Anyone else come across this issue?

 

Server Error in '/Altiris/ITAnalytics' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Request timed out.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Request timed out.]

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.5466; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.5456

Operating Systems:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Clint's picture

I currently have about 3500 clients under my SMP.  For those that are managing similar numbers and have configured IT Analytics, can you please tell me about how long your "IT Analytics - Add Remove Programs Search" report takes to come up?

Also, if your report doesn't timeout like mine, let me know if you're running any of the pointfix rollups because I'm only at ITMS 7.1 SP2 MP1.1 without any rollups installed.  I was curious whether any of the rollups might've addressed this timeout issue I'm seeing with v5 being the latest.  Thanks in advance!

Clint

honey_jack's picture

"Request timed out." error during MIB import attempt

Article:TECH162533  |  Created: 2011-06-16  |  Updated: 2012-09-28  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH162533

 

Thanks & Regard

Honey Jack

 

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" for the valid thread.

Clint's picture

I don't believe generating the ITA Add Remove Programs Search report is doing an MIB import but perhaps modifying the Web.config file in the ITA folder structure is an option to increase the timeout value?  Note that hitting the ITA "Reports" virtual directory on the SQL server (http://sqlserver/reports) and clicking the same search report name takes awhile but does produce results so I'm thinking this timeout issue has to be an IIS7 thing via the SMC.

Anyhow, based upon TECH162533, I see a path like \\smpserver\d$\Program_Files\Altiris\ITAnalytics\Web with a web.config file although haven't come across any supporting documentation on whether adding that <httpRuntime executionTimeout="600" /> line is safe or applicable to ITA report timeout issues as well.  I guess I'm unique in that no one else has chimed in that they can't get to their IT Analytics Add Remove Programs Search report too.

Clint

Clint's picture

With the help of DPrager and crew, I was able to get my ITA search reports running.  Thanks guys!

Resolution was to hit the SQL Server Reporting Services webpage (i.e. http://your_sql_server_name/Reports/Pages/Folder.aspx) then Edit in Report Builder certain Parameters for each search report so that its Default Values is set to "No default value".  Now I said "certain" because the engineer I worked with knew which parameter(s) (usually pComputerName) to modify so I can't give you guys a definitive answer on fixing each search report but, hopefully, the example fix will provide clues for you to go on.

Anyway, my understanding is that the search reports, by default, try to go through the whole database before pulling anything up although tend to time out in the process.  By selecting the No Default Value radio button for, say, Default Values in pComputerName in my Add Remove Programs Search report, the report came right up after which I could type in my desired search criteria via the SQL reporting services page.  However, I discovered that the parameter fields I modified didn't allow me to type anything in them when running the reports via the SMC.

The fix for this was to simply run each search report from SQL reporting services, copy its URL, then create a new Web Link within your SMC to the url.  Yah...it's a workaround where it was explained to me that something's not quite right with the view controls so we're actually running the reports right from reporting services instead of via the SMC.  Your new web links should have a little globe on the icon so just need to tell your users to use these links instead for your ITA search reports.

Clint

SOLUTION