Video Screencast Help

Is it possible to make a Backup Exec 2010 R2 Server DC?

Created: 25 Jan 2011 • Updated: 27 Jul 2013 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi!

We are implementing HyperV at the moment and Microsoft states, that there has to be a physical DC. At the moment we run Backup Exec 2010 R2 on a Windows 2003 R2 Server, which has SQL 2005 Express and IIS installed. On the server is a SCSI-Card with an HP Tapelibary attached.

The idea would be to promote the server to a DC, because  the physical machine should remain, as the tapelibrary is attached to it. Since a DC hasnt any local users, will Backup Exec work? Do I have to change all Useraccounts to Domainusers only?  

Has anyone any experience with that issue? 

Thanks for the help and kind regards,

Philip

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

itsmeaffinity's picture

Hi

As I know there are no issue with installing backupexec on DC & yes when you log on to DC yu cannot use local user so with backupexec also you will have to create an account or you will have to use an account which is domain account with sufficient rights so that you will not have any issue during the backup & restores

If this help to clear your dout you can mark this is has solved

Thank You

If this information helps you, please mark it as solution.

Thank You.

CraigV's picture

Hi Phillip,

Yes I have had experience with this. We don't have any issues running BE on a domain controller. When setting up BE, you'd have an account created, and in an existing domain, that account is given domain admin priviledges.

If this was a workgroup, I'd DCPROMO that server, and once restarted, create an AD account. Give it domain admin rights.

From there, open up BEutility, and use the option to manually set a different service account. This is going to make the changes for you, and then start up your services.

Just 1 thing...if this DC tombstones/fails for some reason, BE will die on that server as well. We had this issue once before where I couldn't start up BE's services due to a local site DC dying. We had to get a DC up and running and wait for replication to take place before starting up the services. It seems that BE will try authenticate to a local DC only.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION