Video Screencast Help
Scheduled Maintenance: Symantec Connect is scheduled to be down Saturday, April 19 from 10am to 2pm Pacific Standard Time (GMT: 5pm to 9pm) for server migration and upgrades.
Please accept our apologies in advance for any inconvenience this might cause.

is it possible to run backup exec 12.0 on windows xp as backup server

Created: 27 May 2013 • Updated: 31 May 2013 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

I'm running Veritas Backup Exec 8.5 on my Server with Win 2000 Server as OS.

For I'm doing a one man business, I don't need a real Windows Server. I need a server for my emails and for backup up my files that I collect and transfer from my local devices as pc or notebook etc to my server.

I don't want install a real server OS any more, cause I don't need it. For I want to use my old but good working HP streamer C5683A, I guess I need BE 12.0, the newer versions of BE wan't support that HP streamer any more.

I found an offer on eBay for a Symantec Backup Exec 12.0 Server Licence. Before I'll bit on it, I want to be sure, that it will work on a Windows XP Pro SP3 system. In the Backup Exec 12 for Windows Servers Software Compatibility List (SCL) from July 10, 2009 I could find an entry in the last line of the "Media Server Operating System Compatibility" table, that Windows XP Pro SP3 will be supported.

So my first question: Can I use BE 12.0 on Windows XP System as backup server system, just as I use Veritas Backup Exec 8.5 till now on a Windows 2000 Server?

And my second question: Will I be able to restore data from backups I created with Veritas Backup Exec 8.5 on the HP streamer C5683A on DDS4 cartr. with Symantec Backup Exec 12.0?

Thanks in advance

Tom

Operating Systems:

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

ZeRoC00L's picture

XP is listed in the SCL as media server:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56442

see page 9.

To answer your second question, yes you can restore a backup created with an older version of Backup Exec.

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

SOLUTION
Tomybyte's picture
Hi ZeRoC00L,

that was I wanted to be verified.
Thank you very much!

Tom