Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Java 1.6.0_20 install needed

Created: 06 Aug 2012 | 4 comments

Hello,

I'm looking for an installer for Java 1.6.0_20 that will run without asking for updates.

I did this for Java 1.6.0_07 by running this:

\\server name\Packages\Java\Java6\jre1.6.0_07.msi

/quiet TRANSFORMS="\\server name\Packages\Java\Java6\jre1.6.0_07noupdate.mst"

Java 1.6.0_20 is in .exe form.  I tried this but it does not work:

'Java 6u20
\\server name\Packages\Java\Java6\jre-6u20-windows-i586.exe /s AgreeToLicense=YES IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=0 REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=1

Does anyone know how to deploy this version of java without it prompting for updates?

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

edwimb's picture

I have the application.  I'm looking for help getting the altiris install to turn off auto update among other things.

burndtjammer's picture

write a bat file to do the install and then to modify the registry to remove the update keys.  Place the installer and the bat file in the same folder. Add a software release via Managed Software catalog(or edit a preexisting software).  In the package tab of the software properties window add a package and select the entire java install folder.  Set the bat file as the install file( or you could use winzip to create a self extracting installer if you have a license). Create detection rules as applicable. Then use managed software delivery (software management) to push out the package.

Software Management best practices https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/alt...

If you push java via patch management you have to still create another job or task or policy to remove the autoupdate garbage.

.\jre-6u%jre6ver%-windows-i586.exe /s /v"/passive /norestart AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1" dont seem to work. Ive kept them in the bat but follow up with reg hacks to make sure they are set correctly.

Heres my install.bat that i use for java 6u33

%~d0
CD %~dp0
@echo off
set jre6ver=33
taskkill /IM iexplore.exe /T /F >NUL 2>&1
taskkill /IM firefox.exe /T /F >NUL 2>&1
taskkill /IM javaw.exe /T /F >NUL 2>&1
taskkill /IM jqs.exe /T /F >NUL 2>&1
taskkill /IM jusched.exe /T /F >NUL 2>&1

REM Are we 32-bit or 64-bit?
REM If we have 64-bit, we need to install it FIRST

if not exist %systemroot%\SysWOW64 goto 32bit

.\jre-6u%jre6ver%-windows-x64.exe /s /v"/passive /norestart AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 IEXPLORER=1"
.\jre-6u%jre6ver%-windows-i586.exe /s /v"/passive /norestart AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1"

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy /v EnableJavaUpdate /t reg_dword /d 0 /f >NUL 2>&1
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy /v NotifyDownload /t reg_dword /d 0 /f >NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.6.0_%jre6ver%\MSI" /V AUTOUPDATECHECK /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /F >NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.6.0_%jre6ver%\MSI" /V JAVAUPDATE /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /F >NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.6.0_%jre6ver%\MSI" /V JU /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /F >NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.6.0_%jre6ver%\MSI" /v IEXPLORER /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /F >NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.6.0_%jre6ver%\MSI" /v MOZILLA /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /F >NUL 2>&1

GOTO END

:32bit
.\jre-6u%jre6ver%-windows-i586.exe /s /v"/passive /norestart AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1"

:END
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy" /v EnableJavaUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f >NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy" /v NotifyDownload /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f >NUL 2>&1

REM more update crap to remove because java keeps adding it
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.6.0_%jre6ver%\MSI" /V AUTOUPDATECHECK /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /F >NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.6.0_%jre6ver%\MSI" /V JAVAUPDATE /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /F >NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.6.0_%jre6ver%\MSI" /V JU /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /F >NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.6.0_%jre6ver%\MSI" /v IEXPLORER /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /F >NUL 2>&1
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.6.0_%jre6ver%\MSI" /v MOZILLA /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /F >NUL 2>&1

reg add HKLM\Software\Altiris.pkgs\SunMicrosystems\Java\6u33 /v Version /t REG_SZ /d 1.1 /f >NUL 2>&1
reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v SunJavaUpdateSched /f >NUL 2>&1

rldupriest's picture

Java started including a hidden msi installer that runs the auto updater.  Look in the addremoveprograms table in the db and look for hidden = 1 entries you will find the java updater.  Get the msi code and create an uninstall job to go along with your java install to remove it after install.