Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Java 7 with SEPM Console Test Results - SEP 11.x and SEP 12.1

Posted Jul 29, 2011 03:07 PM

I saw that Sun released Java 7 earlier today, so I figured that I better install it on a machine to test compatibility. Note: installing Java 7 does not update Java 6u26. So to ensure I was testing against Java 7, I had to uninstall Java 6u26 as well.

Here's my results on a Windows 7 x64 computer:

SEP 11 RU6 MP3
    I can no longer go to http://sepmserver:9090 and install/launch the Java based SEPM console. The button has changed to "Download Java 6" which doesn't do anything. If you already had the SEPM console installed before upgrading to Java 7, I can still launch it and log in. However, it gets stuck at "loading" and the only way to kill it is to terminate the javaw.exe process in Task Manager.

SEP 12.1
    I can go to http://sepmserver:9090 and launch the Java based SEPM console and then log in with my credentials. However after logging in, it comes up to the "loading" screen and locks up. The only way to kill the console window is to terminate the javaw.exe process in Task Manager.

• 2.  RE: Java 7 with SEPM Console Test Results - SEP 11.x and SEP 12.1

Posted Jul 30, 2011 09:16 PM

Hi,

so, it seems we need to add the conclusion:

wait for the official Java 7 supportability from Symantec before using it to access to your SEPM consoles and continue to use Java 6 or move to Java 7 but use the web based remote SEPM console.

• 3.  RE: Java 7 with SEPM Console Test Results - SEP 11.x and SEP 12.1

Posted Jul 31, 2011 04:34 PM

I've never had success with Java.

The ONLY version that worked for me was 6u7. That's it. If I upgrade to any other version, the remote console does not work as it will just lock up and I have to kill javaw.exe.

Win XP SP3

• 4.  RE: Java 7 with SEPM Console Test Results - SEP 11.x and SEP 12.1

Posted Aug 01, 2011 08:52 AM

Beppe wrote:

wait for the official Java 7 supportability from Symantec

Any idea how long that wait will be? I'm just curious.

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: Java 7 with SEPM Console Test Results - SEP 11.x and SEP 12.1

Posted Sep 12, 2011 10:26 AM

I tried the same with the LiveUpdate Administrator. It's not working at the moment.When you try to install LUA you will get an error message about a not installed jre...