Video Screencast Help

Job Failed . Final error 0x8004230f(2147754767)

Created: 26 Aug 2013 | 24 comments

Error catagory other errors ..   Refer to link V-79-32772-8975

When I go to that link it shows a article about checking on the VSS providers.  This is BE 2012 and the service that article mentions is not in the services and when I run the command the only provider I have is the Windows one.

I see some basic job failed errors in the windows logs and a couple about VSS service errors. 

I am fairly new with 2012 and this client is new for me.  

This job has been fairlilng for a while with these errors.   Can it be as simple as taking away the auto part of the VSS and have it use Microsofts ?

Thanks in advance.

Included some pictures.

Mike

Operating Systems:

Comments 24 CommentsJump to latest comment

lmosla's picture

Hello,

Is this an Exchange job?  In the backup job properties for Exchange select:    Use AOFO with Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service with the snap shot provider System-Use Microsoft Shadow Copy Provider 

and then reboot the server.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH183176 

Edit:  System state job  please see: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159538 

mli7777's picture

No not an exchange server job just files.   But I did notice once I looked closer :) that there is the Microsoft Software Shadow copy provider service.   It was not started ?   Is that one of the services the error is mentioning to look at and make sure it is running ?  I have started it and made it auto.

Do you think that will be the possible issue ??

Thanks

Mike

lmosla's picture

Actually, it should not be started and it needs to be set to manual.  

Is this a Windows 2008 server? Have you rebooted recently?

Make sure you have run Live Updates and push the agent out to all your remote servers.  

also if there are any other backup software running there may be a conflict with the writers.

mli7777's picture

Ok ?   :)

One yes one no.  I will leave it started.

And full story on this server.   It is the backup server where the 2012 software is loaded.  This backup basically backs up this server itself and a couple drives with stuff from like DLO data on them.

This is a virtual server with VMWare 4.1. 

As a start to this last week we did live update and it applied SP2 so we are up todate on the software.  And it was rebooted last week also.

Thanks

Mike

lmosla's picture

Good call, I found mixed messages on this and was researching to verify I told you the correct setup.  I just found this document. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734302(v=ws.10).aspx 

and yes Donald is correct it should be started and start up type set to manual.

I apologise for the confusion.

Are you using AOFO on this job?

mli7777's picture

No problem we are good. 

I am a little confused but that is normal.   :)

If the service was set to manual and I had to start it like I did what happens when the server is rebooted ?

I am going to assume it will not start again ?   Is BE 2012 supposed to start it when it needs to shadow copy ?

And I assume I don't need to do anything else from that article and just see how it runs this time?

I think AOFO is being used but the job kicked off about 20 min. ago and looks like I can't go look at that setting while it is running.

Thanks for the help will let you know how it goes.

Mike

mli7777's picture

Well open to new suggestions.

Not sure why but the MS shadow service stopped during the backup.   I know I had it running and just put it back to manual like suggested.

But when I got here the job was running and said it was in verify mode and that service was not started anymore.   So I would assume that means the backup was good ??   I guess not ?

This job is using AOFO and is set to Auto select, process logical volumes for backup one at a time and enable checkpoint restart.

So any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks

Mike

lmosla's picture

In the job properties , Backup Options for AOFO set the snapshot technology to use Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Server  as System - Use Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider.

mli7777's picture

Done deal.

It starts in an hour.   Do I need to start that service or do I rely on BE to start the service ?

Thanks

Mike

lmosla's picture

try letting VSS start itself it this time.

mli7777's picture

Well it is running and I did a refresh on the services screen and the MS Shadow service is running.  :)

Fingers crossed.

Mike

mli7777's picture

Well crossing the fingers did not help.  :(

Like I said above when the back up was running the MS Shadow service did start.   And now that the job is done the service has stopped.

But the backup failed again with the same error??

So new ideas ?

Sorry if I keep trickling in information.   This is a VM machine on VMWare 4.1 and the server itself is Windows 2008 R2.   And did mention above that SP2 for BE has been applied via live update.  So as a part of that it has been rebooted just 5 days ago.

And if I go back in this sytems history it has been failing for quite a while but did have some succeful backups in the past.  Again this is the server with BE loaded on it and it is it's own backup that is not working.   Basically it is backing up itself along with a fair amount of data it has stored for things like DLO.

Thanks

Mike

Backerrorstillthere.PNG AOFOSettings.PNG
lmosla's picture

Hi,

run vssadmin list writers to verify the state of the writers are stable 

Look in Windows Events Application and System Logs for errors that occurred during the time that the job ran. 

Make sure you do not have any other backup applications or maintance running during the time of the Backup Exec backup.

Seperate your backup into different jobs (maybe base on the files types).

Is this a licensed version of ESXi?

check out this link for information on:  Can Backup Exec Media Servers be installed on a Guest virtual machine running on an ESX server? http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130609 

mli7777's picture

Thanks will check those things.

I do know this is a licensed version of ESXi ..  It backs up other VM's successfully ..

And according to the logs this server has backed up successfully a couple times.

Will do some digging and let you know.

Mike

mli7777's picture

All writers looked good except the couple below.   Need them ?

System Writer:[7] Failed

last error timed out

WMI Writer State:[7] Failed

last error timed out

Thanks

Mike

mli7777's picture

I did a quick search on the System writer failing.   So first off this article ..  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vss-writer-system-writer-failure along with the screen shot of the settings on the server.   This is the server with BE loaded but is the one we are failing on also.  The D: drive is where the backup is going.   Need to change that to go along with the article and make the maximum size no limt and maybe enable it ?   See attached pic ..

shadowcopydrivesettings.PNG
mli7777's picture

And as a side note.  I just rebooted the server and the writers are fine now ?

So maybe change that VSS setting on the drive the backup files are going to (D:) ?

Maybe the same to the C: drive ?

I am pretty sure the writers will fail again ?

Mike

mli7777's picture

Well welcome to Friday.  :)

Well the reboot got the writers back to working but the backup still failed and those two writers metioned both failed with the same errors.

System Writer:[7] Failed

last error timed out

WMI Writer State:[7] Failed

last error timed out

The one thing I did change from the article I found (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vss-writer-system-writer-failure) was I changed the maximum size limit in the shadow copy settings on the drive the backups are going to unlimitted in the Shadow copy settings.   It is still disabled as per the ariticle so I just changed that setting.

I have read somewhere and going to look for it again that there may be some dll's that need to be re-registered to keep those writers running.   Have you heard of that ?

Thanks

Mike

mli7777's picture

No new thoughts ???   :(

Didn't get much time today as I am sure you did not either getting caught up.

Going to try and work on it some tomorrow.

Trying to find out if they have maint.

Mike

lmosla's picture

What are the errors you are seeing in Windows Event logs?

At this point, I recommend contacting Microsoft support to get this resolved.

marcusolini's picture

Hi.  If you are still experiencing the VSS Provider failure during a System State backup, when able, please collect the following diagnostic information using the native Windows command line tools and post the information for review.  This diagnostic information is executed on the server that experiencing the VSS Provider failure, which appears to be BE02.anderson-hay.com.  Thank you.

(1)    C:\>VSSADMIN LIST VOLUMES
(2)    C:\>VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS
(3)    C:\>VSSADMIN LIST PROVIDERS
(4)    C:\>VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWS
(5)    C:\>VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSTORAGE
(6)    C:\>REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS"
(7)    C:\>REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers" /s
(8)    C:\>REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\VssAccessControl" /s
(9)   C:\>REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SPP" /s
(10)  C:\>REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MountMgr" /s
(11)  C:\>REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TrueCrypt" /s
(12)  C:\>REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\control\hivelist" /s
(13)  C:\>VER
(14)  C:\>BCDEDIT /ENUM
(15)  C:\>MOUNTVOL
(16)(a)  C:\>DISKPART
(16)(b)   DISKPART> LIST DISK
(16)(c)   DISKPART> LIST VOLUME
(16)(d)   DISKPART> LIST VDISK
(16)(e)   DISKPART> EXIT
(17)  Question: Physical Machine or Virtual Machine?

marcusolini's picture

Hi All.  Please review duplicate post “Writers Keep Failing” for the solution to this post.  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/writers-keep-failing.  Thank you.