Video Screencast Help

Job Failing with "The logon account does not have valid credentials"

Created: 13 Sep 2013 • Updated: 25 Sep 2013 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Backup Exec 2012
Windows 2008 Server R2 64 bit

This is the job log error:

Check status : Error: e0009b61, The job failed with the following error: Backup Exec could not log on to the server with the logon account specified for it. The logon account does not have valid credentials. Ensure that the user name and password are correct in the logon account

I found this article about this error and it is a known issue.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...
The article indicates that there is a hotfix for this, but there is no link to the hotfix on the page.

The backup job was working until a Symantec Tech instructed me to in SP2 to try to solve an issue with slow backup jobs. The job broke right after applying SP2.

It has been a week since the job broke. I need to get this fixed ASAP.

I have a case with Symantec. It is:   05050391.

The tech assigned to the case, Robin Stanislaus, is pretty much worthless. He will ask me when is a good time to call me, then he doesn't call at the time I give him. When he does call, he calls our purchasing agent instead of me. He sets up a Plan of Action with a time that he is going to call. He does not call at all.

The one thing he had me try was to repair the database. I did this last week and the job still fails. I tried pushing the agent to the remote server again to see if that would help. The job still fails.

 

Please help. I need to get the hotfix ASAP.

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

The hotfix is in SP2.

Have you tried re-creating the job?

Ranvir's picture

The issue was supposed to be fixed in SP2. Please let us know if you are backing up a remote server or a local server? Was the backup working before applying SP2? Are you facing this issue with a particular server or with all the servers you backup?

James Ho's picture

I am backing up a remote server.
I tried pushing the agent to it again. It still does not work.
I already mentioned that the job was working prior to installing SP2.
This is only occuring on a single remote server. All my other remote servers are working fine.

@pkh - I tried recreating the job, but since the credentials fail for the SQL server, the new job does not have the SQL server databases in the back up.

Donald Eady's picture

On the Media server try uninstalling and reinstalling the agent for applications and databases.. once the resinatallaiton is complete try creating a new job and you should then be able to view the missing resources... You should also be able to run your failing jobs

I hope this posting was helpful

  

Ranvir's picture

Hello James,

Thank you for the information and sorry for a delayed response.

From the information that you have provided I assume that the trust is broken between your backup exec server and the remote server.

Please follow the below steps on the remote server and update.

1) Open the remote agent utility and go to the publishing tab and hit on change
2) Remove the entries for your media server
3) Click on the security tab and remove the certificates if you see any
4) Save the changes
5) Open the remote agent utility again and add the IP address for your backup exec server along with the domain admin credentials (Domain\administrator) under the publishing tab
6) Once the entry is added, save the changes
7) On the backup server, Right click on the remote server in the backup exec console and select "Establish trust"
8) Re-run the backup job and update

James Ho's picture

After weeks of trying to solve this and having the first Symantec technician tell me,
"The SQL database backups are different in 2012. You don't have to actually see the databases in the selection list in order for them to be backed up. As long as the files are being backed up, then the databases are being backed up."
WHICH IS WRONG.

I called in to tech support and requested someone that actually knew what he was doing. First the new tech tells me that the databases are not being backed up because the files on the server are being backed up.

Within 30 minutes of reviewing the case and checking one thing on the media server (the fact that I can back up files on the server but not the databases) he determined that this was a licensing issue.

Apparently the installation of BE 2012 SP2 uninstalled all of my licenses except the core license. It is strange that only one of my SQL servers was throwing an error. The other servers did not have any errors and they were not backing up the databases because of the same credential problem. After re-installing the licenses (note - you cannot have any jobs running when doing this) I can now see the databases in the selection list and the credentials tests all pass.

SOLUTION